Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword opinion please

Hallo,
    I am no expert and can not make up my mind about this one.
    Can you please share your opinion beside the condition (some of the ray skin seems to be broken) ?

The tsuba does not looks very refined . Is it a poor "later war" piece or a copy ?

The cap/kashira does not seem to be of good quality . Same question , is it a "later war" variant or an out-right fake ?

Many thanks for your views ,

Hi Yves,

All looks OK to me and I'd say that the tsuba is a later manufactured piece as it lacks the quality of finish one associates with the earlier pierced brass tsuba.

If you wish help with the kanji you will need to display them vertically in a photo with the uppermost kanji being the one closest to the tip of the sword. These are read from top to bottom. I'll attach a photo of one for clarification.

Regards,
    Stu
    Attached Files

Comment

bits of mei

look like Murayoshi.....maybe starts with Noshu Seki hard to read standing on my head.

Comment

Originally posted by sturmann View Post
        Hallo,
        The tsuba does not looks very refined . Is it a poor "later war" piece or a copy ?
        A "late war" sword would be in Model 1944 mounts
        http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/military.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
          A "late war" sword would be in Model 1944 mounts
          http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/military.htm
          Hi Ted,

I agree with you on that. To be clear, when I used the term "later" I meant in the early 1940s. Prior to that, from 1934 onward, I would expect to see the quality cut out type tsuba. Anything from 1944 and 1945 are definitely "late" war and quite different in appearance. I'll add a pic here to clarify.

Regards,
          Stu
          Attached Files

Comment

They never were named type 44 but san shiki type 3

Comment

Originally posted by NLF View Post
              Hi NLF,

That's indeed true from what I have read in the most recently available references on line and in print. Older texts referred to them in other ways including late 44 "style". I think the commonly used term Type 44 probably flowed from that when "type" was used used synonymous with "style".

At least the Type 3 are less often being called Marine or NLF swords now though.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

I wasn't trying to claim that's the proper Japanese name, but the "1944" model/type is a common name for them used by collectors.
                (Although I still see them at shows more commonly incorrectly labeled as "Landing Forces Swords")

Comment

!! I see nothing wrong. I have one very similar to the sword shown, wooden saya with a black leather cover. That type of tsuba was used mainly with leather covered scabbards as the leather retaining strap would go through the openings in the tsuba. I'm not good in judging the sword/blade but I like the mounts. If the price is right, buy it. Wait for someone that knows more about the blade, that's the most important part collecting Japanese swords.
                  Here's a picture of my tsuba and seppas.
                  IMGP2044.jpg
                  Last edited by RodneyO; 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Regarding the quality of the tsuba and other fittings; remember that Japanese officers had to buy their own sword (and all their other gear). Some had more money than others and could buy the cut out tsuba and have the family mon added, while others had to settle for the basic options. So it's less about when it was made and more about who it was made for. Even in 1945 there were some nice swords being made for the people who could afford them.

Comment

Hallo,

Many thanks Gents for all your constructive and informative replies
                      It is great help with this precise sword and also very educational for the novice I am.

Cheriooo

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
                        I wasn't trying to claim that's the proper Japanese name, but the "1944" model/type is a common name for them used by collectors.
                        (Although I still see them at shows more commonly incorrectly labeled as "Landing Forces Swords")
                        That is true, and I think 90% listed on ebay call the NLF also. I wonder what started that.

Comment

That is true, and I think 90% listed on ebay call the NLF also. I wonder what started that.
                          They were called NLF swords when I started collecting in the 1950's. A case of misidentification being carried on to this day.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X