Clear All

Opinion on helmet and canteen

Please some opinion about this group :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-IWO-JIM...item4ab7f0f20c

Thanks per advance

i am not an expert, but i think it is a good set,combat condition

greetings bruno

Comment

Thanks, but what about this Iwo Jima inscription????

Comment

It's pretty much impossible to tell when the inscription was added.
        As they always say: buy the object, not the story

Comment

I know that but.....

Comment

But what?
            I don't think anyone here can tell you that the helmet came from Iwo. The inscription is what it is: the vet might have written it when he picked the helmet up on Iwo; the vet might have written it when he picked the helmet up off some other island and thought Iwo sounded better; the vet might have written it after he purchased it off a sailor; the vet might have written it after he got home; the vets kids might have written that based on dads stories; the vets kids might have written it because it sounded neater that dad picked it up on Iwo rather than in Japan; the vets kids might have written Iwo because they figured it would bring in more money when they sold it; the seller might have written Iwo thinking it would boost the price....

Take your pick.
            Or did you have another question? I don't think anyone can get any more specific than this.

Comment

You are right about all you say, my question was about a possible "red flag" concerning a very modern inscription, it's why after your first answere I wrought this "but" !

Comment

ahhhh.....understood!

Comment

iwo helmet

I think they look great and a good deal so far with 4 days left. I don't see any red flags, but to be the devlis advocate: the paint is flaked at the points of the W, M, and A. I think paint is more likely to flak when it's older. So that could be that the inscription is new? But I could be 100% wrong, just thinking worse case. Also the blood looks red and after 70 years old, I think it would be just a dark brown stain if anything. Also the star looks messed with, like it was removed or somehow pulled away? This is becuase the points are lifted up. Again, all this could just be my pessamism and it could be all legit. I see nice canteens like that for $50-75. The helmet looks great, just can't be sure of the inscription, and a great helmet is $500-700+ easily.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X