Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese KIA Letter w/ Flag & More - Opinions Welcome

Hi All,

I primarily collect American items as well as some German. For whatever reason, I purchased this small grouping from eBay about three years ago. I'm hoping some of you Japanese experts can provide me with information regarding these items.

1st question - Is the Japanese flag real? I did a blacklight test and it does not glow. You can see there is a red stamp on the flag.

2nd- I believe the letter is a condolence letter. The envelope has a photo of a sailor and the pictured letter was inside the envelope. Can someone provide an exact translation?

3rd- Does the newspaper article have anything to do with the letter?

Thanks for all the help!

Envelope outside

Envelope outside (side 2)

Letter

Nice looking little grouping. I wish I could read Japanese, so I could tell whats written! First off, I hope you didn't buy it from the infamous E-Bay seller / grouping maker / flag stamper, Cupman or also know as Cupman2 and Cupman3. He is famous for grouping items together and passing them as related items when they are just individual items. Second, he is more famous for adding stamps to many cloth items, especially flags to jazz them up and make a few bucks more. Your flag looks authentic. Most likely a patriotic flag. Its not a Navy version, as the center orb would be offset if it were. I have not seen one before with the imperial Chrysanthemum stamped on it, its odd for me. The rest, we won't know until someone who reads Japanese looks at it. Individually they are all nice items, If they belong together, than thats even Better!

PG-

Comment

Paul- thanks for the feedback. I bought this several years ago so I don't recall the userid of the seller but I don't think it was cupman. The put together/fake stuff he lists is unbelievable. Hopefully someone here can help translate!

Comment

I don't have time to try and read the whole thing (I'm not fluent and it takes me a long time), but the document has the heading 弔辭 "Condolence Message", looks like it refers to a 3rd Class Seaman, and is dated June 7th, 1942.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X