Japanese sword off the e-board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword off the e-board

hi everyone!! i bought this off the e-board a few weeks ago. can anyone tell me when this was made? the tip of the handle is broke off, and for some reason, it looks like someone slightly bround off the edge. was this done during surrender and was this common? is this worth restoring?

the post was deleted as soon as i posted i'd take it. any input would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!
    greg

made by Yo****ada January 1945 it is machine made, not worth restoring if you are thinking of resale, but if you like it and want to invest the money that is your choice

Comment

It a postwar mixed parts and a gold painted scabbard.

Comment

I am not trying to put you down in any way but I know you want the truth.This is a low level trash sword worth $80 max if you could find anybody that would have such junk in a collection.In other words not a collectable sword.I would never have such a piece of junk like this.

Dennis J

Comment

yoshi tada has a word in it that wont post
          ...D J...your full of crap, hope someone trashes something of yours someday.

Comment

Hello Greg,

Interesting piece. The practise of grinding off the blade edge is not one I have encountered before as part of any sort of surrender protocol. These were surrendered en masse and as such there would have been far too many to process in that manner I believe. A more likely scenario I suspect is one in which someone took the edge off for safety reasons associated to their children or display.

One normally would not have a late war mass produced type blade polished. Polishing is reserved for blades that were hand made in the traditional manner. Polishing runs around 100-150 USD an inch these days.

As for the tsuka (handle) it's possible to find a replacement but as these were made to fit a specific nakago (tang) it may not fit as snuggly as you would want. WAF member Doug Austin (Austo1) may be able to assist you in this regard. Here's a link to his web site. Have a look around and you will get an idea of costs associated to purchasing parts and accessories.

http://www.guntoartswords.com/

If you bought this sword for general display and are not planning to collect in that field then I'd glue the broken portion back in place, take the gold paint off the scabbard and leave it as is.

Kind Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Budo45 View Post
              yoshi tada has a word in it that wont post
              ...D J...your full of crap, hope someone trashes something of yours someday.
              The truth is the truth.I have had people tell me the same thing on this forum and I take it like a man.......If I have a piece that is trash than I want to know.IMO this sword is trash.I do not know what the buyer paid for this sword but if he paid more than $80 he got taken jmo.I do not speak Japanese so I do not know what "yoshi tada" means so I don't care.If you can speak english and have to hide behind Japanese words than you are a coward.

Dennis J

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                It a postwar mixed parts and a gold painted scabbard.
                Dennis J

Comment

Duh your as sharp as a butter knife, Yoshi tada is the smiths name Mark posted it but the cuss word fillter took out the middle word s h i t...get it???
                  yes its lower end but why rub it in his face,,,shows what your made of ,,,just stick to what you know its not swords. if you want to call me a coward do it to my face kid.

Comment

Duh your as sharp as a butter knife, Yoshi tada is the smiths name Mark posted it but the cuss word fillter took out the middle word s h i t...get it???
                    yes its lower end but why rub it in his face,,,shows what your made of ,,,just stick to what you know its not swords. if you want to call me a coward do it to my face kid.
                    I thought I did call it to your face.As I said I do not speak Japanese and did not know that Yoshi tada is a smiths name but I do know trash when I see it.

Dennis J

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J View Post
                      I thought I did call it to your face.As I said I do not speak Japanese and did not know that Yoshi tada is a smiths name but I do know trash when I see it.

Dennis J
                      on the board hundred miles away...coward is what you are...now was that to your face????

Comment

on the board hundred miles away...coward is what you are...now was that to your face????
                        I see you don't sign your name so maybe you have something to hide I do not know or care.I know one thing I said all I have to say to you.I think who ever sold that sword to Snipernuts should have told the buyer all about that sword before he/she sold it and had to find out about it here after the sale.Was I being to hard on the buyer..........no he asked about the sword and I said IMO it is trash and that is all I am going to say.I hate to see people get taken like that and I hope it never happens to him again.You have a nice day Mr. Budo 45 what ever your name is.

Dennis J

Comment

hey Dennis J, relax.......i'm a combat vet, i have very thick skin, i paid alittle over 200 for it, i originally just wanted a decent war time sword to have in my office at the base along with my collection of WW1 and WW2 grenades and helmets that myself and office mate have massed for the last 7 years.

i've gotten some great PM's from other members that have been a great help and I appreciate the experience and advise that has been given me.

first i'm going to see what the cost will be to get the handle redone or replaced, the blade is what it is, WW2 era steel. if the cost is too great, i'll probably just put it on ebay and sell it for what it is. the last japanese sword i owned was when i was in HS, some guy from california gave me 6K for it back in 1982, it was some big swordsmith from the 1700's, at that time, that $$ bought my 1970 R/T Charger, which i still have to this day.

again, thanks to all for the great (and not so great) comments, it is truly appreciated!!

Greg

Comment

Greg

tho ruff you have a bonified war relic, if your looking for a Tsuka repair id give David McDonald a look.

http://www.montanairon.com/tsukamaki.html#cost

top of the line and has won awards in Japan for his work.

Comment

Dennis, your comments are somewhat harsh and un-neccessary. As you obviously know a lot about Japanese swords and their values, and obviously collect them, it would be good to see some Japanese swords from your collection and, what you paid for them. Look forward to seeing a thread from you shortly.

Greg, it looks like the saya and fuchi are from an Army Type 3 gunto, sometimes incorrectly called a Naval Landing Forces sword. It's a pity that the kabuto-gane has broken off, however the tsuka looks great and has nice menuki.

Rather than going for a full re-wrap perhaps find out if the kabuto-gane could be somehow re-attached as Stu suggested?

Regards

Russ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X