Japanese Army sword (not Samauri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army sword (not Samauri)

I was wondering if someone could give me a guess as to a fair price for an Army sword (company level). I never see them without dented or otherwise horrible chrome scabbards. Found one after looking for years.

My thanks,
    Mark

do you mean a parade saber? if so you can usually find a nice example in the $150-200 range

Comment

Originally posted by nixe View Post
      do you mean a parade saber? if so you can usually find a nice example in the $150-200 range
      I agree on that range. They are quiet common although those with undamaged scabbards command a modest premium of about 15%.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Dang! I hate when I do that...should have said quite common not quiet common.

Comment

By the way, although the majority of those I've seen do have cheap mass produced made blades in them there are some around with fantastic traditionally made blades.

Here's one such example. The value goes up according.

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/fss339.htm

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Stu, the link shows a "samurai" type blade in Russo mounts, if that is what MY is asking about my estimate is too low, i thought he was asking about the army parade saber

Comment

Originally posted by nixe View Post
              Stu, the link shows a "samurai" type blade in Russo mounts, if that is what MY is asking about my estimate is too low, i thought he was asking about the army parade saber
              I understand. I think you are correct in that Mark was asking about the more often found mass produced type.

I was just pointing out that on occasion an old blade will surface in similar mounts. The value will of course be well into the thousands.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X