Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family katana?

Gents,

I have the oppertunity to buy this sword. Can you give me your opinions about this sword?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Marcel

its real and its old the blade that is, really cant tell the mei from what youve shown us.

Comment

I go with Budo45.

Comment

i know its hard to tell from the photos but i think the hamon looks oil quenched
        you can see hard spots at the top of the gunome and the nioguchi has that white undistinct look to it???
        the nakago looks old but i have seen worst on shin gunto
        any chance of some more photos

Comment

I only have a picture of the tip. I dont have any more pictures.

Comment

The tang has a dry, pitted appearance and has a blackness to the steel that is often a sign of a blade that is saiha or retempered after having been in a fire. You would need to have someone knowledgable to hand examine the blade for a final determination. If retempered, the blade has no collector value.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
              The tang has a dry, pitted appearance and has a blackness to the steel that is often a sign of a blade that is saiha or retempered after having been in a fire. You would need to have someone knowledgable to hand examine the blade for a final determination. If retempered, the blade has no collector value.
              The man who sells it say' s it has not been tempered with. And its still the original configuration . He collects these swords.

But im a noob in collecting katana's so i thought I first post it here, because i don' t know the man and it' s a lot of money to just take a gamble.

Regards Marcel

Comment

Is het blade right with the right handle? Cause it's a old blade with a ww2 handle?

Or am I wrong?

Regards Marcel

Comment

Hello Marcel-
                  The onset of the Meiji Period in Japan ended the samurai class and prohibited the wearing of swords. Many samurai sold their swords and armor in order to survive. Therefore, the concept of an older blade found in samurai mounts does not always indicate it was a "family sword."With the onset of modern militarism in Japan, some military officers wished to have an affinity with the historical samurai cast and purchased older blades and had them mounted in military mounts. The condition of the tang of the blade you are considering greatly reduces the value of the blade. That of course is not taking in to account if it is saiha. May I also interject that many sword collectors would not recognize the signs of retempering.

Comment

May I also interject that many sword collectors would not recognize the signs of retempering.

Bob is spot on, we really cant tell from the photos if that is the case.

Comment

Thank you for your input!

Regards Marcel

Comment

Go for it if the price is right...gorgeous sword no matter what....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X