Translation Help with Japanese Naval Pilot Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation Help with Japanese Naval Pilot Items

Hello all, I just got this in today, Im sure majority of you saw this on fleabay but I couldn't resist getting it. I tried for the other lots but was more interested in getting this one. Came in an envelope stating that the items were taken from a Japanese Pilot they picked up about 20 miles off of Guam, 4 July 1944. Includes Navy Life Jacket Name Tag (measures 7.5" x 4.25"), piece of paper (flight record?), and Piece of Flight Suit. If someone can translate the name tag for me I would much appreciate it. Also, found what the piece of paper was used for but no idea of its purpose, maybe flight record? Also, did anyone here get the other lots? Thanks and enjoy.

Best, David.
    Attached Files

Flight Record?? Writing on both sides what looks to be calculations
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is an example of what the piece of paper was used in from IJN Pilot Equipment book
      Attached Files

Comment

The paper item seems to be a checklist for the Kneeboard...whats neat is that it was filled in while in flight to his destination and guess that the kneeboard was still attached to the pilot when he was plucked from the sea by the vet ship. The vet seems to have collected numerous items from Downed Japanese Pilots that were picked up from sea by the ship.

Im still looking for help with translation of the Float Vest Name Tag. I tell that there is a name/rank and the right side mybe the unit the pilot was with. Thank you all inadvance for any assistance with this.

Regards, David.

Comment

Hope this help:
          1.navy
          2.aviation
          3.wireless communication
          4.report paper
          5.month
          6.day
          7.carrier( name) to receive
          8.carrier ( name) to send out
          9.appointed number
          10.received person(name)
          11.send out person( name)
          12.form no.5
          13.receive/send out timing log
          14.duty officer (name)
          Attached Files

Comment

Hope this help.
            1.flying
            2.sergeant
            3. not sure is it the name of the pilot but looks like but I do not know how to translate into English.
            4.dragon
            5.can not read. Not sure will 4. and 5. add up to form the name of the ship.
            Attached Files

Comment

WOW thanks Chen for the assistance with the translations.

The communications report is pretty neat showing the pilots last radio transmissions possibly before being shot down.

Also, the translation on the name tag showing flying sergeant is "flying Petty Officers 2nd Class (Name??). And if indeed part of the translation on the right side is "Dragon ??" would indicated an aircraft carrier correct?

Hope to get the name of the pilot if anyone can assist. Thank you again Chen for the super translation.

Regards, David.

Comment

The Ryuho was in that area during the battle of the Philippine sea. Ryuho means Dragon Phoenix so maybe your ship?

Comment

Further break down of the name and rank which I believe.

1. Name of the pilot. I do not know how to translate it in English.
                  2. Second
                  3. Flying
                  4. Sergeant
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                    The Ryuho was in that area during the battle of the Philippine sea. Ryuho means Dragon Phoenix so maybe your ship?
                    Scott,

Thanks for the info.....I was also looking at that ship. Trying to match up the timeline with what the vet had written on the envelope. More to come, will try and do some photoshop to try and enhance the kanji on the right side.

Regard, David.

Comment

Chen,

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this. Will try another avenue to get the name translated.

Regards, David.

Comment

河合 "Kawai"

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                          龍鳳 is Ryuho, that smaller kanji on the right is hard to read, but doesn't look like 鳳 is there.
                          Maybe 龍驤 Ryujo

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
                            龍鳳 is Ryuho, that smaller kanji on the right is hard to read, but doesn't look like 鳳 is there.
                            Maybe 龍驤 Ryujo
                            No problem David. Thanks for the help Papa. My book has a light carrier named Ryujo (Prancing Dragon) that was sunk in the Solomons in 1942. I was guessing it may have been Ryuho because of the character for dragon. Also the local of that ship around the date on the envelope. Thought it may have been an abbreviation like so many other marked Naval items. I was unclear on the second character. Hope a close up will show what it is. This is truly an interesting item. I love cut cloth uniform items.

Comment

Papa, thanks for taking the time to translate the name. Getting closer....Flying Petty Officer 2nd Class Kawai....now to get the name of the unit/ship...gotta do some forensics to get the Kanji to darken up. Unfortunately, that is where it was located over the roll on the float vest thus rubbing on the seat/harness. Thanks everyone for the help...Its kinda neat to try and put the puzzle together.

I also love naval cut cloth items especially with names and unit/number designation

Regards, David.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X