Samurai Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

after my initial post, I realized I forgot this possibility. That possibility is that this pattern sword was made on the Asian mainland as a temporary replacement for an officer's sword broken in combat

Comment

Thank you Maestro. I have posted only some of the swords from my collection. At the time I was actively adding to the collection I assumed that sooner or later the veteran's bring back swords would simply dry up as they passed away. That is what motivated me to buy as many as I did. I simply underestimated the longevity of veterans as there are still lots of WWII items - including Japanese items - that are being directly sourced from veterans and their families.

Although my main focus was collecting WWII Kaigunto (Naval) swords I could not resist adding the many and varied odd ball late war army swords as well as last ditch items.

I have often wondered (as have other collectors) whether these last ditch swords were made locally in Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Borneo, Burma and other occupied territories by reason that in the latter part of the war Japanese units were increasingly being cut off from Japan and had to rely on locally sourced materials and skills. Just a thought.

Comment

Hi All,

The sword pictured at the beginning of this post is a war time example and not a post war fake. I have also bought a few of these from vets and still own one.

Comment

This sort of sword was subject of another thread recently where it's period authenticity was in doubt. I asked there, and now here, has anyone a photo of this type of sword in wear?

How can we be sure that it is not a post war souvenir put together for occupying force members?

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Thank you to all for your opinions.

Yes, it was posted in a different thread recently, and I asked the moderator of that section to move it here since it is specific to Japanese militaria.

Would additional pictures of specific areas help?

<!-- / message -->

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvio View Post
                Thank you to all for your opinions.

Yes, it was posted in a different thread recently, and I asked the moderator of that section to move it here since it is specific to Japanese militaria.

Would additional pictures of specific areas help?
                Hi,

I was actually referring to another one a member had for sale here awhile ago. It too got mixed reviews and that's why I'm trying to locate some photographic support for it if possible.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Any guess on its value?

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvio View Post
                    Any guess on its value?

If memory serves me harley guy was the other seller and he had his for 250 USD. As I recall the scabbard was in better condition. It had not sold when last I checked the thread which I believe has now been deleted. Possibly you could check with him.

Regards,
                    Stu

PS: Here is the previous thread. No pics but the comments may be of assistance to you.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=573174

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X