Development of the tanker helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development of the tanker helmet

Here’s something different for a change. In the middle is the typical army tanker helmet covered in cloth. To its right is the fur-lined winter leather version. And the left-most is an early prototype made of leather.
    Attached Files

Soon after the end of WW1 Japan imported tanks from England and France to evaluate them at infantry schools. Taking a hint from the French Adrian helmet and the British leather tanker helmet, they devised a steel helmet with cheek flaps in leather as a first attempt at head protection and issued them to drivers. However, field evaluations showed that the inertia of the extra weight of the steel protection caused more head-banging during jolts and the helmet was short-lived.
    About the same time, however, the army flight troops developed a leather tankers helmet based on the French leather flight helmet design and invited the tank troops to try them out. This is the prototype featured here. The side has 5 pairs of grommets for lacing up. This was soon reduced to 4 pairs and finally to 3 pairs as seen in the cloth covered version.
    Attached Files

Comment

This prototype leather helmet was what was worn during the 1920s when there still were no Japanese tanks and they were studying the Renault and the Whippet tanks, but as Japan came up with its own tank, the type 89, they finally officially established uniforms for tank crews, at which time the familiar cloth covered and lighter padded version came into use. The leather covered version was prone to snag and tear easily, which the cloth version hoped to remedy.
      Attached Files

Comment

awesome

Great Photos and information. Nice Tankers! The all leather style I've only seen in photographs. Great stuff. Thank you for sharing.

Jim
        JapaneseOrdnance(at) yahoo.com

Here is a link to a Japanese blog showing a similar all leather tank helmet>

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nobu8841/63979888.html

here's a link to a Japanese museum showing a strange leather helmet. My guess is it's some kind of early flight helmet or an early tank helmet variation.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/ki43/heik...oka/shizu.html
        Last edited by JCB; 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Jim, that is an early army flight helmet.

Comment

I have a "tanker" helmet unlike above that has inked inscription on side something to the effect of "taken from a dead Jap tank officer..." It is identical to a period Japanese tech photo IDed as flight helmet. Perhaps they were used up old stock flight helmets for fledgling tank corp?

Comment

I didn't write the whole story, but in the beginning of the 30s there was a time when tankers were wearing modified flight suits and helmets, due to the need to improvise cold weather gear for tankers as a result of opening of hostilities in Manchuria. A winter flight helmet with additional fur inside was issued against the cold. Later in 1933 navy style flight helmets with steel plating inside were also tried out, because tankers started to become prey to snipers. This headgear was initially well received, but prolonged wear produced discomfort due to the weight, so they gradually drifted back to the cloth covered tanker helmet again. In the meanwhile modified flight suits as winter wear became too cumbersome for moving around in the confines of a tank, so a development program for specialized winter gear for tankers was undertaken, leading to the leather winter helmet and the overalls and short jacket combination, which underwent field tests in 1934/35. The leather helmet in the blog JCB referred to is a normal winter helmet of this type.
              Last edited by Nick Komiya; 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Nick great thread! Are you saying that the leather helmet in Jim's 2nd link near bottom was a pilots helmet modified for tankers and it was modified by adding metal plates? There is also a soft helmet that is near identical to the winter tankers, any info on them?

Comment

The leather flight helmet displayed in Jim's 2nd link was part of Japan's first flight uniform established in 1914, coincidentally announced on the very day Japan declared war on Germany. This first issue flight helmet was superseded by the model change in 1929. At this time a felt-padded crash helmet in brown leather was also established, which is often mistaken for the leather tanker helmet. The tanker helmet has the closing strap at ones right cheek and goes through rings on the left for closure, but the flight helmet had this reversed. The familiar 6 panel leather flight helmet was also introduced at this time. The felt padded crash helmet became redundant as the pilots went under the canopy, no longer exposed to the elements, and it became more usual just to wear the thinner helmet. The tankers wore the 6 panel winter flight helmet in Manchuria, but often modified with side lacing like the later tanker helmet. They wore flight suits too, but modified to have chest pockets with flaps, no zippers, etc. When they considered sniper protection they added a steel shell to fit under a thin flight helmet in the navy style.

Comment

I have my prototype early tankers helmet in front of me. It's identical to Nicks except mine is missing the star/circle insignia. Will try & post photos soon.

Comment

what is the value of the leather tanker helmet 1st model?
                      I got offer one and need to make an offer but have no idea, I see only the cloth or the winter helmet out there never saw one 1st model for sale

Thank you

Giorgio

Comment

Originally posted by ITALIANWARFRONT View Post
                        what is the value of the leather tanker helmet 1st model?
                        I got offer one and need to make an offer but have no idea, I see only the cloth or the winter helmet out there never saw one 1st model for sale

Thank you

Giorgio
                        anyone knows what this are going for?

Comment

Here's a pic of troops wearing the one type of helmet.

Jim
                          Japaneseordnance at Yahoo.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X