Japanese kanji flag NEED HELP TRANSLATING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese kanji flag NEED HELP TRANSLATING

I need help translating this Japanese Kanji flag. Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks,
    Phillip
    Attached Files

'

Attached Files

Comment

=

-
      Attached Files

Comment

That's an awful lot to ask with that flag. Anyway, it appears they are all signatures of well wishers for whoever the flag was presented to, and I didn't see a "Presented to ____" type dedication on there so we don't know the owner's name. On the Tiger is "渡邉庄治郎" Wantanabe Shojiro", but it's just the name so I can't say for sure he was the artistic one.

If you really want to know everyone's name who signed it, you'll need to take a lot of close up photos and send it to a professional. It would take someone like me (with my basic level Japanese skills) a few days to read all that.

Comment

I love the tiger.

Comment

The last post is "Nittobo" the Japanese textile company who made the flag. They are still in business today. Nice tiger by the way

PG-

Comment

Thank you

Thanks to everybody for there knowledge and help. I am sorry I did not clarify about the kanji, I just wanted the larger kanji translated the ones going to the corners. I know it would take way too long to translate everything.

Thanks again,
              Phillip

Comment

Hi Phillip,

You will probably find the large kanji here...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=493366

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

The larger kanji are just names too. The people who are first to sign often write big, then the names get smaller as they start running out of room. I don't see any slogans. Most Japanese names are made of 4 kanji. Occasionally you see one with 3 or 5 (like Mr. Wantanabe's name on the tiger). If you see a lot of 4 kanji groups on a flag, those are usually going to be signatures. If you see something longer than that you may have a slogan or dedication. If the owner's name is on the flag, it will usually have the "-kun" 君 kanji after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
                    The larger kanji are just names too. The people who are first to sign often write big, then the names get smaller as they start running out of room. I don't see any slogans. Most Japanese names are made of 4 kanji. Occasionally you see one with 3 or 5 (like Mr. Wantanabe's name on the tiger). If you see a lot of 4 kanji groups on a flag, those are usually going to be signatures. If you see something longer than that you may have a slogan or dedication. If the owner's name is on the flag, it will usually have the "-kun" 君 kanji after it.
                    Thanks for that info...good to know.

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

Fierce looking kitten! Honestly, that tiger has a bit of a kitten look to it, but I absolutely LOVE that flag and the artwork is great. Genereally when I'm asking to have translating done in this forum, say a flag just like yours, I ask only for the name of the owner and if there are any other interesting remarks besides battle slogans and signatures. You'd be looking for high ranking signers, named battle locations, UNITS would be outstanding, if its IJN or IJA etc. No means singling you out Phillip, please don't think that, it happens evey day here and I've been guilty too. To have a flag like that professionaly translated, everything, I'd guess you'd have to pay about basement price with no frills: $100.00.

Regards,
                      Joel

Papa, might supplement that income ya know.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for your great feedback I will definatley take a look at that kanji link.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X