Japanese Bayonet with Rubber Scabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Bayonet with Rubber Scabbard

Can someone please tell me just how rare (or not rare) these are? This is, believe it or not, the first one I've actually had ...

I've got it in my auction, and want to be accurate in the description. Thanks in advance!

Craig,

See the same type of bayonet just sold on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350520987590...84.m1438.l2649

I bought a similar one on estand late last year:
    Attached Files

Comment

If you look real close you can see a IJN anchor stamp marking on the lower back of the composite frog.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Michael Downey; 01-14-2012, 02:46 AM.

Comment

So I guess this is a Navy example? Here's the listing in the upcoming auction:

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...ubber-Scabbard

To me, this is a one-looker and I doubt they fake them. Still, the finer points of Japanese bayonets are not my specialty, and I would be grateful if you'd take a look before the auction starts. I'm in Last-Minute description and double-vetting mode this AM.

Comment

Bayonet in the auction is wrong type!

Comment

Can you be more specific, so I know how to advertise this? Thanks!

Comment

I have only seen these in combination with the straight quillion, not hooked quillion, later war type bayonets, like the set up posted to this thread. Its a mismatched set.

PG-

Comment

Are they like German bayonets (where mismatch is common from the period), or collector mismatched, or no way to tell?

Comment

The correct bayonets are the straight gullion late war with flat slab grips and crude machining and probably a certain maker (s).

Comment

bayonet in listing #810 is incorrect & should be in a steel scabbard. The bayonet you posted above is sometimes found in this type scabbard BUT the most frequently found is the so called navy special bayonet. These are very crude & mostly unmarked. There is a variation that has "Rocking Star" arsenal mark on blade & these are very rare & desirible.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X