JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone see anything interesting about this IJN cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see anything interesting about this IJN cap?

Had been in talks with the seller about buying it and the cig case (he hadn't listed the cig case yet). When he did list the cig case, I said screw it. He purposely made the BIN high due to my interest I believe. But before he knew I wasn't going to get the items, he added a few more pics of this cap, and then a short time later ended the auction. I'm guessing someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse? The cig case is still available. What do you guys think? Anything special about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140677868646...84.m1423.l2649

I saw that cap too. He said it was named to the Japanese heavy cruiser Myoko, yet I don't see the kanji for Myoko 妙高 anywhere on the cap. It's dated Nov. (winter) 1943, so this was just before the was near the switch over period to navy all green uniforms. Because I couldn't clearly see any evidence of 妙高 on the cap, to me, its a nice mid-war winter EM cap with name and date, but that's it. $300 is a fair deal I think because navy caps are cool. Why he took it down? Not sure. Don't know why he would settle for a deal if he knew you were interested in it. Possibly he sold it locally.

Comment

Thank you. He got the battleship name from the cigarette case he now has listed. He purchased the two from the same person. He was making an awfully big assumption that the cigarette case and cap belonged to the same sailor. Its a neat cigarette case, but no way would he put a $295.00 BIN on it unless I had expressed interest in buying both items. I inquired about the case before he had it listed (he mentioned it in the cap listing). Hell, maybe the cigarette case is worth that. Its the type of item I'd love to have, but thats too much money in my opinion.

Regards,
      Joel

Comment

Probably was hoping to get more bids and pulled it. Seen this happen a few times already. Did it have any bids? How many days were left?
        Last edited by 101combatvet; 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Some of the prices on his other stuff seems pretty darn high as well.
          $295 for the Navy cap seems high but it's actually in line with what they seem to be going for. These black caps are about the most popular piece of Japanese naval headgear outside of helmets.

eric

Comment

These black caps are about the most popular piece of Japanese naval headgear outside of helmets.

eric[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, perhaps most popular of the cotton caps. Wool caps are much more coveted.

Comment

True, I should have said the most popular that average collectors can find.

Comment

Every collector of navy headgear needs one!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X