Starting a new sub-collecting area...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a new sub-collecting area...

As you can tell from my sigline and many of my purchases, my main interest lies in IJN related items, mainly uniforms, head gear, flags and anything IJN flight related. Recently though an item I picked up has really sparked my interest in acquiring "war trophies" from identified island battles. I know its hard to guarantee provenance and the story, but every now and then you run across stuff were you just know its the real deal, like my recent of a Marine medic who removed insignia and good luck charms from dead soldiers on Tinian and Siapan. Comes with a signed card, aged card, giving his name and and the story, written by a relative. Enough to where I have peace of mind. Another forum member was polite enough to say he saw groups from this medic on eBay a year or 2 ago and assured me the story was a good one and others items were purchased from the story checked out, the guys name, 2nd Marine Division and all. But to my point, I think I'm going to expand into stuff exactly like you see below, the grouping I was talking about. I decided to take it off the original matting. Thank goodness scotch tape was used to mount. No damage done. I'll likely re-type the family members remarks but of course keep the original card on back, to enhance the display. One thing I love about this group is you know they are the real deal, cut off deceased enemy soldiers. Seeing the battlefield collar tab promotions is something interesting in itself. Also, all of the star pips except for one are cloth and roughly handmade. Just thought I'd let you guys know about my new interests!

Regards,
    Joel
    Attached Files

Well this topic kind of sort of got skunked. I might try reviving it with my original intentions..... Anyone out there willing share pieces in their collection that have provenance of a known battle? And only 34 more minutes till midnight where I'm at so I'll say it one last time. Merry Christmas to you all, I wish you all many more and a great 2012.

Best wishes,
    Joel

Comment

I'm posting this outstandng item (group) that belongs to Jareth. Its quite a small grouping for USMC Machine Gunner Willis Tanner that he has. Not only do you seldom see stuff like this from the early island battles, but the provenance, and the letter signed by Lt. Col. Goettge is quite rare since he died early in the war and is known for this famous, deadly, patrol. that bears his namesake.. The Goettge Patrol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Goettge
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Joel for posting. Button was cut off a tunic. I believe white stripe on tab indicates paymaster.

Comment

I have a couple things, I'll post this one first because the item has it's provenance right on it. Normally, a Japanese 50 Sen note wouldn't be worth much. In fact I found this one in a "junk box" at a coin shop and paid less than a dollar for it, since to coin and currency collectors, a bill with writing on it is about as appealing as a badly "sporterized" Arisaka is to us.
          Attached Files

Comment

Next is 2 20mm with Tubes sent home from Alaska. They came with a letter from "Cpl. L. Reibold" from the Co. A 104 Engineer Battalion, to his father in which he describes the items sent home. Aside from the 20s, he sent home some rifle rounds, a "knee mortar" shell, and some of the leaf shaped propaganda leaflets we dropped. The other items were no longer with the grouping (But I do have all those things in my collection already). The 104th participated in the Aleutians Campaign and were then kept in Alaska for the remainder of the war. Although soldiers were not supposed to mention where they were in their letters, it did slip past that the leaflets were dropped on Kiska.

Comment

Very nice items Papa!

Comment

Like your newly found field! Especially the 20s from Kiska!

Lev

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X