Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword tassel: function or form

Hello everyone,
    I came across this picture tonight. It made me think. Is the tassel found on an officers sword purely decorative? Or, were they ever modified to serve a purpose? Sort of a lanyard in combat. It looks as if this soldier has a tassel being used as a lanyard, or possibly just a lanyard?? has anyone ever heard of this being done? Thanks,

PG-
    Attached Files

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting that very interesting photo.

I don't know the answer but would guess that an officer's cloth tassel would not stand up to much of anything physical. The leather ones used on Type 95 NCO swords might though. At least for a short time. I suspect he's got something a little more robust strapped on. Good thing too as it would be easy to lose it in that heat. I can envision it flying out of his sweaty hands much to the consternation of those folks around him. Much like a golf club I once let fly...but that's another story and better left untold.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

Back in time the tassel was used from the horse back ,so they didnt loose the sword.
      Also a samurai Tsuba with 2 small holes was had a leather string ,like a tassel.
      IMO the tassel was used often by the officer , it was not only for showing rank.

Comment

Awesome picture

Comment

They were not just decoration you are correct they were lanyard also.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...37993800thread

over on NMB a thread about if its a copy on not shows officer using it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Budo45 View Post
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...37993800thread

over on NMB a thread about if its a copy on not shows officer using it as well.
              Here it is. He sure is using it as a lanyard!

PG-
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X