Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banner on e-stand. Opinions please

Greetings all,
    Can I get some thoughts from Jareth, Stu, Nick, Paul, Papa and others on the Japanese flag in this set? Would it be considered military let alone naval? Good translation on the kanji? ANY input appreicated.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=551019

Regards,
    Joel

I already commented http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=namura

Comment

Thank you Nick, I had not seen that. My biggest question is whether they are military or not. As Milton pointed out it has aspects of the IJN flags. The ship company mainly built merchant ships but did build auxiliary ships for the IJN (found out on Axis History Forum).

Comment

It was prepared by the Ship Builder as a decoration for an event, so it is not military.

Comment

They aren't military issue if that's what you mean.

Comment

Hi gents. Yes, I never meant to imply that they're "military" flags in the sense of being carried / flown by military units, but rather that they are wartime flags used as a patriotic display at the ship builder apparently. Thanks.

Comment

I never had the impression you described them as military but they certainly are war related in my opinion.

Comment

Well, yes, I suppose that goes without saying (that they're wartime). I wish I had more provenance for you other than that they came from amongst a deceased local vets effects, but that's all I've got. I believe the Kanji which id's them to Namura ship builder (thanks again to Nick), is very unique in and of itself. Whether they were intended to be displayed during a specific occasion or visit of a German delegation or simply displayed as motivational or patriotic banners during the war might never be known, however they're truly unique among any other WWII cloth I've come across lately. Thanks again for the interest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                X