Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre WWII IJN Destroyer tally

Greetings everyone,
    I've been researching a "Donald Duck" cap tally I have that is for the IJN Destroyer Ume. There were 2 Ume's. My particular one is for the ship that saw service around 1917, not the one sunk in 1945. I'd been looking for a picture of the ship and finally came across one. It will be nice to have an image of the ship with the tally and I thought I might share.

Regards,
    Joel
    Attached Files

Japanese tally

Hi Joel,

thanks for sharing. May I ask you whether the lettering is woven in or printed on?

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Hi Daniel, thanks for your interest. It is printed on, seems as though the gold kanji are almost a bullion type or "guilded". Higher quality than my other tally's. Or it could just be the fact it appears it wasn't issued. I know with the help of forum members it is pre-war due to the fact it is read right to left instead of left to right. I forget the exact translation but pretty much says Destroyer Ume. There were 2 IJN destroyers named Ume, the one pictured and one that fought and was sunk in 1945.

Regards,
      Joel
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joel,

thanks for the detailed photos. Now I have to admit that my knowledge about japanes tallies goes against nil. However, I have seen only once a woven one. On the reverse side of it there was a little paper attached, written in Sütterlin (the hand writing style the Germans had in the 30's), explaining what the inscription means. Provided, it was all correct what was written there it was of a heavy cruiser and obtained in 1907 directly from the ship. So I assumed that at least all pre-WW1 tallies were woven/embroided instead of printed on. I might be wrong with this, again: my knowledge is very very limited in that. My area are German tallies until 1945.
        Have you seen a japanese green-ish canteen tally before? I have one from a light cruiser, forgot the name right now, who attended the gathering of naval ships in Kiel (which still takes place every year in the summer time) in 1936.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Perhaps the forum member I purchased this from will chime in. He has owned many more than I have. Regards,

Joel

Comment

I have not seen a greenish tally before, but don't put too much into that, I'm fairly new to the majority of this stuff. Or maybe now new, but just finally starting to educate myself. I am quite a fan of the tallies that name the ship though. I have one for Sasebo Naval Base and a hospital in Yokosuka though.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Warren View Post
              Perhaps the forum member I purchased this from will chime in. He has owned many more than I have. Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

yes, let's invite this gentleman into our thread and he might shed some light on it. I think old japanese tallies have not been discussed before anywhere, so it starts to become interesting.
              By the way, it was the cruiser Ashigara, which was in 1937 in Kiel and Portsmouth.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

HI

I have seen a picture of a greenish Tally before in the private collection of a well known naval collector along with another coloured one from a pre ww2 ship, i believe a picture of it might even be somewhere on a different thread, I'll have a look.

I have a printed pre war tally as well dating from ww1, and used to have a printed Mikasa Tally before trading it out. woven ones came in later (not including some bullion ones)

Paul

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=IJN+bob

this should be useful.

Paul

Comment

Old thread but nevertheless I'd like to add from my collection a photo of a Ashigara crew member with the matching tally.
                    This photo is part of a Kriegsmarine photo album and contains 13 photos of Cruiser Ashigara and her crew during her visit in Germany 1937.

Regards, Matthias
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Oberbootsmann; 03-22-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

More pictures, I hope you don't mind.

Regards, Matthias

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

As seen below, the Ashigara was also equipped with 3 air planes.

Regards, Matthias
                          Attached Files

Comment

Excellent photos, thanks for sharing!

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X