Japanese Medal ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Medal ID

Hi there! I found this tiny Japanese Badge/Pin.. My wife says it reads that it is for a high school... Has anyone ever seen this before? Perhaps it is a military high school??

Thank you!
    Scott

It's from a girl's high school from Nagasaki. Nice badge with a constellation.

Comment

Nick,

Thank you for the inputs... Do you think it was made pre 1945 or post War?

Would be interesting to know if this High School was destroyed by the Atomic Bomb blast.

Thank you,
      Scott

Comment

Scott, I can be very specific on that point. 191 School girls died at that school that day. The school changed its name by order of the US occupation forces in 1948, so your badge is very likely pre-A Bomb.

Comment

Very good info Nick... Pretty amazing this was pre A-Bomb... now my wife is all nervous having this in the house. :/

She just said this reads, "Kentitsu Nagasaki Kou Tou Jo Gakkou" This sounds exactly what you said above...

Thank you again.. I really appreciate you taking the time so share your knowledge.

Scott

Comment

I would also feel the same way as your wife; it weighs a bit too heavy on ones soul to be constantly reminded of so many teen-aged girls that ended their lives there that day wearing this badge.
            Probably not a good idea to keep it, because it sort of casts a dark shadow over your entire
            collection in the eyes of your wife. Once women start to feel "the presence of dark spirits" in these things you quickly lose their support for the hobby.

Comment

"Once women start to feel "the presence of dark spirits" in these things you quickly lose their support for the hobby. "

Amen, brother.

Mike

Comment

All so true... It took long enough for the Third Reich medals to be accepted..

I guess it is time to stop wearing the Nazi flag draped around my neck in a cape like fashion to get the mail.... JUST KIDDING!

Comment

Did you notice the owner's name is scratched on the back? I can't read it because the pin is in the way.

I have some Hiroshima items on display, but nothing from Nagasaki. So, if it needs to go, I'm not married and I'd display it with dignity and respect. Of course there's a good chance this was worn pre-1945, it doesn't look to be in bad condition and I hope the owner may have had a long and happy life, but it does have the name of that school.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                  X