sincerely seek help (nothing idea about this) in understanding over
    what period belongs; he seller of the store told me that was part o
    f many objects of an old house period 1850/1900 century; clearly is
    incomplete but the scabbard is fantastic. I don't see any signature
    on the blade; Please help me Thanks.
    cheers
    Raffaello
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raffaello Carola; 10-05-2011, 03:45 AM.
    "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Attached Files
    "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice old tachi.

Comment

Thanks Gunto! but I not have any idea of an "old tachi" I am totally
                ignorant (not is my field area) period, value, history? I have seen in
                your profile you repair swords, Please send me an pm; if any idea of
                restoring this swords an value after restored? thanks for the input.
                cheers
                Raffaello

Comment

Very nice sword! You should put a little oil on the iron fittings and use an ivory piano key to scrape off the crusty active rust. A tsuba and menuki should be easy to find in this theme. Make sure it is a good polisher works on the sword as it looks to be a good quality old blade.

Comment

Raffello in poche parole ...you made a very good deal, you got an old good katana per pochi soldi...

Comment

A "tachi" is worn suspended from the belt by two hangers with the blade edge facing downwards. A katana, wakazashi, or tanto is worn through the belt with the blade edge facing upward. In early Japanese history the tachi was the primary sword of the samurai, especially when mounted. As time passed the katana became the primary weapon of the samurai and worn through the belt while the tachi became a more "dressy" sword.

Your sword's fittings and scabbard were made in either Higo or Hizen privince as the fittings have the tell tale signs of either provinces style of craftmanship.

The blade would have to be closely examined to tell it's age and it's possible place or style of manufacture.

Tachi have always been my favorite of samurai swords.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

You found a truly outstanding sword - worth a couple of thousand, as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by checkit View Post
                          You found a truly outstanding sword - worth a couple of thousand, as-is.

Normally I wouldn't reply to such a statement, and mean no disrespect to the gentleman from Iowa, BUT, given it's present state, and barring any "fatal" flaws in the blade,....and "as is", I would estimate it's value at around $1,200.00.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                          X