IJN matched blue tunic and visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJN matched blue tunic and visor

Got this in today. Very pleased with it, a matched named set (I'm assuming the hat is the man's name). Any help on translation appreciated. Nothing special about it, just an all origianl Warrant Officer First Grade tunic and visor. Has the high quality leather reinforced split on the left side for carrying a sword. Not great pics, just some quick iPhone shots. Always wanted one, now I have it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Der Texaner; 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM.

few more
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

"4603
        Katou"

Comment

Very nice to see one of these. Did it come with the pants?

Comment

Thank you. No pants with this one. Doesn't bother me too much though. I now need a summer tunic. I have other visors that have the summer cover, but would prefer a another matched set.

Comment

Nice set you have there...this is the same set that was on eBay. I wanted it but it didn't meet the reserve price so I emailed the guy and asked the price but he never responded. I guess you were faster than me...well done and a great set!

Regards,
              Chris G.

Comment

Yes, it was on ebay. Joe is a very good dealer and source for material. I don't mind telling what I paid. My max bid was $301.00. He e-mailed me after the auction and said he couldn't go any lower than $410.00. Told him I was out. Next day he asks if I'll do $310.00 total with that including shipping and to let him know because others were interested. I jumped on it. Displays great in my office. I sure hope someone can tell me about the paper I found in the tunics pocket (see other thread). I have a feeling it might give me a bit of history on the tunic, or at least where this Officer was for a bit.

Thanks...
                Joel

Comment

Good Lord have Mercy! I just realized who you bought that uniform from, and I feared it when you mentioned you bought a "matching" set for $300.

This is a "Cupman3" set isn't it? He is considered one of the WORST dealers out there (do a search of him on past threads on this forum). Nothing good has ever been said about him.

Everything he sells is fantasy sets and about 95% of the time if there is writing on the item, clothing, uniform, flag, ect., it is because he wrote it there. You can tell because his kanji and katakana look super poor and are usually nonsense and laughable. Sorry to say, but the inside of the navy cap is the same. Sorry to say but, he himself wrote that and I would bet for sure that there are other issues.

Don't let his ebay feedback fool you. His stuff, sorry to say, is all ****.

I'll let others add their thoughts and truths about the Cupman.

Comment

Well, I know enough about certain Japanese militaria to know that what I got is good, and the Kanji is original, not added. Practically all IJN visors I've seen and own have kanji on a tag. Why fake it? They are in abundance. I suppose he folded up the newspaper clipping in the pocket and added it to? lol I've done business with him off and on for over 6 years and have yet to see him sell anything fake (that I'm knowledgeable about). Now I know nothing about swords or some field gear, but I've owned enough IJN uniforms to know that what I got is what was described. And that is what matters to me. And I'm sure I'll buy from him again. He has sold many, MANY genuine high ranking IJN flags and I doubt he produces them with his sewing machine. Also, another member posted in this thread they were interested in this same tunic and saw it. Their post count is just a tiny bit higher than yours by a few thousand give or take, so, while you are welcome to your opinion, and I appreciate it, I must disagree when it comes to this item. See Christopher G's post. I'd also recommend posting under your real ID and don't create fake accounts to make accusations. I can only speak to what I have received though. I do appreciate the heads-up. I'll certainly be much more aware in the future. But I can tell you, this particular piece is good.

Regards,
                    Joel
                    Last edited by Der Texaner; 09-30-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

With Cup you get a good mix of the good and the bad. His bad items are necessarily fake but he's been known to create groupings and add stamps to flags. There is a great thread about a Chinese flag he bought off ebay, screwed-up, and tried to re-sell as something it wasn't. That being said, he does have some good items but you just have to be aware of what you're looking at with him. I kind of like him because I love JMSDF items and have picked up some great pieces from him for the simple reason he was selling them as genuine wartime pieces and most bidders recognized this. Just be on your toes with him and don't take what he says with anything more than a grain of salt and buy the item for what it is and not what he says it is and you'll do ok
                      BTW, I like your taste in uniforms.

Comment

1943, I did take your advice and did a search of him on the forums. Needless to say, I'm sorry for my unfriendly response, but I've honestly never seen anything really bad from him, but I also only look at about 1/4 of all his auctions. After reading all that information, from the members of this forum, whose knowledge I'd put my money and faith in I can say that it does appear cupman3 sells bad stuff. But as another member pointed out, he also sells good stuff. I'm certain he did not write the name on the cap, as we had another member translate it and without going into great detail, I'm good with telling what is fresh or fake writing on documents and cloth. The black light will be out soon to look at the tabs and cap, but I honestly feel this grouping is good. I have no doubt.

I had no idea about his stamps and adding stuff to flags. I told him in a private e-mail l like IJN material. He said he had a meatball flag with the IJN Association stamp on it. Before readying the stories of him in this forum, I would have purchased it. Now, no way. If he gets in a visor or relic helmet or a good flag, I will still buy him, but I will be very cautious. I'm debating on mailing him a link to this thread. Again, 1943, my apologies. Thank you for the information. You might have just saved me some big bucks.

Joel
                        Last edited by Der Texaner; 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

He is running a nice IJN visor w/o reserve right now. I'd call it all good. Worst case scenario, the emblem is added. But to have a named visor to a man in reference material? Opinons? I do not think he wrote that Kanji or added the tag. I'm sure some here wil know.

Comment

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. He isn't selling it, but it is being sold by someone with the ebayID edokura Nice item if all origianal and starting at .01 and no reserve.

Comment

And doesn't appear to be a militaria dealer, from Japan with feedback. I might have to watch this one. What do you guys think of it? You can look up the seller or PM me for a link. I don't want to post to an outside auction site in the forums. But I'm guessing it will go $300.00 +. I'll be a bidder, but I'll keep my bid to myself on this one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X