Battle of Okinawa Vet recollections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of Okinawa Vet recollections

Battle of Okinawa recollections from a 37mm Gunner. Hope you like it!
    Semper Fi,
    Bob

http://okinawarelics.com/37mmGunnerPFCPierce.aspx

Bob, nice work...Bill Pierce and my dad were very close friends...as Bill said, my dad should have been a Marine LOL....Thanks for posting. Regards, David.

Comment

YaeTake

Originally posted by Ryukyutunnelrat View Post
      Bob, nice work...Bill Pierce and my dad were very close friends...as Bill said, my dad should have been a Marine LOL....Thanks for posting. Regards, David.
      Thanks David, Your opinion means a lot to me, I'm glad you liked it! The one thing Bill talks about is our failure to locate those big guns he silanced on YaeTake with his 37mm crew. We tried finding those caves once and..... that was the hardest caving ever. Your father pointed out were to go, and was impressed that we got a broken IJA beer bottle out of it.
      He said he never found anything on that battlefield.

Let me know when you hit the lottery so, we can do Saipan, Tinian, and Aka!
      Semper Fi,
      Bob
      http://okinawarelics.com

Comment

Bob, seems everytime me and my father headed up North caving we ended up digging up antique pottery and cash coins instead of military relics....So Mt YaeTake is still an area that I have not explored....Will be heading back to Okinawa in the next few months to get some caving in.....Maybe i will hit it big with the florida Lottery LOL so I can visit the other areas in the Pacific..I have always wanted to dive Truk Lagoon

David.

Comment

David,

Diving Truk (Chuuk) is awesome! One of the best dive spots I've ever been to. If you do make it, two of the best dives are the Fujikawa Maru and the Shinkoku Maru, both great in day and especially at night as most of the corals come out at night.

The San Francisco Maru is another one, though deep (about 160 to the main deck) and has tanks, jeeps, etc all over the deck. Plan on a decompression dive though.

There is also a large naval shore gun up in the hills that overlooks the bay in the main island.

Enjoy! Would love to go back.

Tim

Comment

Hey David,
            Have fun on your visit back home, and since it's summer its going to be grueling doing any caving.... I hear the beach calling. Hopefully you'll score and send a story and some pics. Make sure you drop off a relic with your dad to keep him interested in the hobby.

Semper Fi,
            Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X