Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese KIA flag interesting kanji

Hello everyone,
    I have had this flag for years and have always wondered about it. The kanji on thre right side is interesting to me. I have not been able to find a translation for it on our thread here. Its the one that has a symbol that looks like a 34. If anyone can translate anything else on the flag that would be great! Thanks to everyone for any assistance

PG-
    Attached Files

Might be a name 天業 Tengyō 恢弘 Hirohiroshi(?) although aside from possibly being a name, Tengyō translates to "Emperor's Works" the other kanji can be read as Kai Kou, "Wide and broad".

Comment

Thanks Papa Nambu! By the other Kanji, do you mean the ones left and right of the sun? Thank you

PG-

Comment

In this case it's a slogan that means "Spreading the deeds of Heaven throughout the World".
        It was also a word used in the will /letter addressed to President Roosevelt by Rear Admiral Ichimaru at the time of his suicide on Iwo Jima in which he appealed for world peace.
        As with all 4 charachter idioms, it is read in Chinese-style pronouncation "Tengyo Kaikou"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
          Thanks Papa Nambu! By the other Kanji, do you mean the ones left and right of the sun? Thank you

PG-
          I was refering to the lower 2 of the 4 on the right, but Nick has given you a better answer than I was able to. On the sides of the sun is "Divine Light"

Comment

Thank you Papa Nambu and Nick Komiya You guys are awesome! Your contributions to this forum are priceless!

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X