Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Navy Flag

Hey guys,

I wanted to know in what manner this small Navy flag would have been used? It measures aprox. 15 x 13.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Granted I am a complete amature when it comes to Japanese militaria. But I believe this is army not navy. The sun should be left of center for navy and centered, such as this, for army. Others with more knowledge than mine will be able to confirm or deny my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarathustra View Post
      Granted I am a complete amature when it comes to Japanese militaria. But I believe this is army not navy. The sun should be left of center for navy and centered, such as this, for army. Others with more knowledge than mine will be able to confirm or deny my statement.
      I thought the same, but I have seen this type of flag in photographs of naval forces?

Comment

I agree that the orb of the IJA flag is centered and that of the IJN offset.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

It's a national flag probably for civilians, and they are correct that naval flags have the sun offset from center.

Comment

Originally posted by NLF View Post
            It's a national flag probably for civilians, and they are correct that naval flags have the sun offset from center.
            Exactly. Along with the meatball flag the rising sun flag was a semi-national flag. It didn't represent the Army nor the Navy, but was regarded as a good luck flag, if you will. Even before the army adopted it it was in use in sport events, etc as a Victory charm. A modern gesture of a similar significance to waving one of these flags is the V sign one makes with ones fingers. Alternating red and white is a festive symbol used in weddings, graduation ceremonies, etcs so the flag with that design was also popular for send-offs like in the photo below.
            Notice how this little flag in the thread has a red and white twisted cord signifying a celebration. It could have been used for a send-off or hung outside the house on a speicial national holiday. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the military.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-12-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much guys.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X