Type of sword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of sword?

Hello. Any idea what type of sword this is, officers , etc? The scabbard is wrapped with numerial 4's, taped with scotch tape where there is a break in the wrapping . Thank you. . . [IMG]http[IMG]. . . .

Looks like a Japanese policeman's sword. Could be some other civil organization, not military though.

Comment

Its a police sword.
      The cord with tassels is for a bugle.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
        Its a police sword.
        The cord with tassels is for a bugle.
        I agree on both counts....police sword, and probably rare.

Comment

pix of the blade please, looks hand forged, to see the tang you have to take off the nut on the base of the handle

Comment

Originally posted by zachb View Post
            I agree on both counts....police sword, and probably rare.
            That type are not rare ,
            lots on ebay over the years.

I dont think its a handmade blade.

Comment

Police swords are always factory blades from what I've seen. Attempting to take it apart may damage the fittings.

Comment

Russo japanese period had smith made blades. Much of what is sold on e bay are chinese fakes. This one looks smith made to me. If so the value is much higher.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. Are these photo's helpfull? If not will post more. I do not know if the handle can be removed, have not tried it. . . . . . .

Comment

You will definitely damage the fittings if you try to remove that handle. It's not made to be taken apart like a traditional Japanese sword. The emblem on the back of the handle is the insignia of the Japanese Police.

Comment

Any idea what the "7" on the bottom and the "4"'s wrapped on the scabbard mean? The wrapping itself is basically falling apart, any way to preserve it? Any idea of value?

Comment

Originally posted by Zarathustra View Post
                        Any idea what the "7" on the bottom and the "4"'s wrapped on the scabbard mean? The wrapping itself is basically falling apart, any way to preserve it? Any idea of value?
                        I'm not going to guess at value, I know they aren't that in demand, but should still be worth something. The scabbard wasn't made like that originally of course, someone has repaired and "enhanced" it, the numbers and star are probably parts of uniform insignia added on either to make the sword look more interesting or just as a place to put these little odds and ends so they could be displayed.

Comment

I have seen older hand made blades in police mounts. The tip of the tang is cut down and then threaded like a bolt. The blade is hel in by a threaded fitting in the top of the handle. This may be a cut down pole arm that was mounted as a sword.

Comment

Thank you again for all the responses. I am "weeding" out my collection due to prevailing circumstances and am unsure what is a "keeper" or not. We can not keep it all.

Comment

had a few and took many apart for owners, see the grip marks and marks on the kashira, its been taken off pleanty of times...but dont go by what i say.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X