Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Japanese canteens

Hi All,
    Would like any information on these two canteens in my collection. The first one is an early type cavalry canteen. The shoulder strap is broken on one side and the back is marked “Made in Japan”. I was surprised that it was stamped in English. Is it common to find early Japanese field gear stamp this way?
    The second canteen I have no clue but think it’s a late war officer’s canteen by the cup cover.
    Any opinions and comments welcome.
    Thank you,
    Rodney
    First canteen:
    JPN canteen1:b.jpg

JPN canteen1:f.jpg

second canteen:
    JPN canteen2:b.jpg

JPN canteen2:f.jpg

Thank you for your help,

Comment

If it's marked like that it's likely for export. I've seen original/period retailers catologs that show a wide array of different canteens from medical, youth/student, camping/scouts etc that are all non military. Then there's the private purchase NCO/officer's selection all privately produced with many manufacturing variations.

Comment

Hi
        I Think the large round bottle is the early cavalry issue bottle and the smaller cover bottle is as Jareth say a comercialy made bottle for Student /civil defence or possible Nco /officer use
        bye for now
        James

Comment

Thanks Jareth and James, could the cavalry type canteen still have been used by the military? These were given to my by a close friend.
          Aloha,
          Rodney

Comment

dont hold me to this but I believe in the period (mid 1930s) catolog you could buy old model surplus canteens such as the cavalry model

Comment

Thanks Jareth, there is also a stamp above the "Made in Japan" of a Fist full of arrows. I've seen them on mess kits and canteens. I might have one in my collection with the same stamp. I'll try to check my other equipments for the same stamp.

Comment

Hi Rodney
                This Canteen appears n page31 of Japanese Military Uniforms 1930 to 45 by Ritta nakanishi, the book is well reaserched .With regards to having made in Japan in English on items this is surprisingly common ,I belive the USA stated that items imported to them must say MADE IN JAPAN in English .This practice continued into the war ,interesingly wartime Tabi shoes have made in Japan on the bottom,officers uniforms often have tailors labels in English often with the word teliphone in English ,I recently saw a Japanese made badge for the German Kreigsmarine with the word stearling to the reverse.
                Bye
                James

Comment

Thanks James, could this have been a canteen being ready for export but because of the out break of war it was held back and reissued to the Japanese Army Cavalry? Nakata's has a picture in his book and has the same circle stamp under the leather strap just were the stamp is on my canteen. You can see it in my first picture of the cavalry canteen, it on page 196 #839.

Comment

Hi Rodney
                    Yes it could possibly be for export ,although I feel that it simlpy was made by a company that had the logo and made in japan tooling set up and used it on both civil and military products . These canteens are pre 1939 issued but undoutedly would have been used throughout.
                    bye
                    james

Comment

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X