Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LARGE Japanese & U.S. bring-back grouping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LARGE Japanese & U.S. bring-back grouping!

I picked up this lot in the beginning of summer, and posted it in the BANZAI boards, but not as many active people there lately.

So wanted to show everyone here.

This was ANOTHER grouping bought last minute before it went back into the dank NYC apartment building basement. Most things were stored BADLY and needed TLC to bring them back, the only exception being the bayo, which was heavily greased and wrapped in paper then cloth, so it is perfect.

I’d like to keep the grouping together for posterity.

The U.S. Vet's name is Nunzio Aiello. According to US service records site, he was drafted in 1944, from Brooklyn NY. The guy has something ridiculous, like a 3rd grade education! I don't have any further info on him, other then that he indeed came back to NY after the war and lived here on the Island the rest of his life. He passed away at 1995 at the age of 69 years.

The grouping consists of 9 Japanese items.

1. 1. One unsigned “meatball” Japanese flag. It has a few spots here and there and some staining, but I GENTLY hand-washed it in woolite to get all the grease, staining and smelly grime off it. One of the corner ties has basically fallen off, but still is semi-attached. Great display flag.

2. 2. One silk kanji "good luck" personal “meatball” flag with even line writing and one temple stamp. Ties and corner leather is perfect and still supple.

3. 3. One cloth kanji “good lick” personal “meatball’ flag with circular writing around the “meatball”. Has 3 temple stamps! Ties and corner leather is perfect and still supple.

4. 4. One silk “kanji” personal “meatball” flag in "salty", with few holes and tears. That’s the one pictured in the frame. It’s sitting in a cheap walmart $15 frame. Although for long-term I soon need acid-free framing.

5. 5. One "going off to war" IJA banner. And absolute rare JEM, as past sales and auctions search has not turned up a similar design banner. Exceptional “Order of The Golden Kite” bird on top. Given to a soldier with the name "Kunibe, Harusuke" by someone with the surname "Takano." The name "Takano" is the small string of kanji on the lower left-hand side of the flag.

6. 6. Arisaka Nagoya type 30 “Last Ditch” bayonet in tip-top shape, that has been kept oiled in the scabbard for years. Blade is excellent shape, has been theater-sharpened on the tip to middle about. Scabbard is in great shape, release button moveses freely.

7. 7. Something that looks like an unmarket helmet cover or some sort of bag.

8. 8. Large pile of Japanese 1930's-1940's coins, good 50 or so!

One the U.S. side we have

9. 9. Ninzio Aiello’s dog tags WITH rubber stoppers (very rare for that age, as they were made towards the end of the war and most servicemen didn't get them before shipping out into combat zones), 3 spend US rifle casings (one with bullet attached) and a can opener; all on the dog-tag chain.

10. 10. U.S. Eagle metal cap insignia, screwback type.

11. 11. White Cross on Red Background Division insignia, screwback type.

12. 12. “U.S.” Tunic pin, think it’s the collar tab one, two metal prongs on back.

13. 13. U.S. Army button uniform.

14. 14. A package of US Army issued bandage gauze (dented in center)

15. 15. A pennant from Fort McLellan, US Army base. Was used in WW2 as a training base. Has closed in the 90's. Velvet-type material, silk insert that says US Army. Has a few tears in it. Needs to be framed as well.

There's still plenty of cool stuff out there, waiting for some disinterested janitor to find it and try to make a few bucks off it!

Enjoy and comment~
    Attached Files

Nice flags

Comment

Congrats on a very nice haul. Flags are look great. David.

Comment

I agree, nice grouping! I love your nobori, never seen such bird before.

Could the bag be a (part of?) japanese duffle bag (called zatsunou according to this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Japanese-ar...item53e4d0b0b1).

Best regards,
        Mathieu.

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
          I agree, nice grouping! I love your nobori, never seen such bird before.

Could the bag be a (part of?) japanese duffle bag (called zatsunou according to this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Japanese-ar...item53e4d0b0b1).

Best regards,
          Mathieu.
          Doesn't look like it's that bag. The cloth that the bag is made from is definitely Japanese, but there's no markings. So the mystery remains haha.

Comment

Here's a few more pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice grouping,I have been looking for groupings for a while and are very hard to find.

Comment

I've had a few fall into my lap. Gotta search high and low for them!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X