SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scary fake/put together gunto on fleabay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scary fake/put together gunto on fleabay...

scary. looks like a mixture of good and bad parts. funny how the description says its a rare pierced tsuba when its so blataly obvious it is not and is a fake. but boy, some of the parts look pretty darn good. the lack of details on the blade is typical, but hmmm, the maker's marks are looking like a those on level gunto blade.

i think its a fake jazzed up with some real hardware. opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-WWII-JAPANE...item35ae1ae736

Ebay

Interesting sword but Im not seeing outright fakery, typical leather combat scabbard with leather tab extending through hole in tsuba, weird tone to brass of tsuba but nothing jumping out at me. It may be the angle of photos but it may have a broken hilt near pommel, looks bent in some photos, straight in others like perhaps wood underneath has broken.

Comment

I know they can fake a lot of stuff and with some of their aging techniques, although crude, can be fairly convincing. However, the patina to the nakago looks legit to me.

I am always cautious of anything coming from China.

Mike

Comment

Sword

If its a fake then it is a scary one for sure, eighty dollars shipping and they ship,,"usually within twenty business days of cleared payment" wow thats speedy,,,And i must admit I havent seen that buckle style of securing the sword, usually just a strap and snaps.

Comment

Parts..

Comment

Tsuba and all the other parts look good to me, but the handle wrap is some kind of butcher job, and the handle itself looks broken or otherwise completely mis-shapen.

I have seen handles that got broken right at the point the tang ends and the handle keeps going. But this doesn't look right, unless whoever wrapped it was doing some kind of cover up on the damaged handle.

The handle wrap definitely looks post war to me. I have never seen the knot at the Kabutogane tied so poorly on anything but a modern gift shop sword..

Comment

It has new wrapped ito and some missing seppas ,but it dosnt look fake to me.

Comment

Not fake but there are some scary fakes being made by CAS Hanwei. Im tempted to order one to see how good they are in hand.

Look at this link

http://www.cashanwei.com/prod_Detail.aspx?ID=sh2445

Comment

Originally posted by brannow View Post
                  Not fake but there are some scary fakes being made by CAS Hanwei. Im tempted to order one to see how good they are in hand.

Look at this link

I wouldn't call that a "scary fake".

No attempts to age, deceive or distort. Looks like a legit replica.

Would you REALLY be even mildly confused if you had it in your hands? They got the details down, but the age and the precision is just not there.

Now, the good luck kanji flags on fleabay, THERE'S nothing but fakes there!

Comment

Originally posted by brannow View Post

Look at this link

Wow ,The best replicas made yet.If they got some ageing/patina they could fool everyone.
                    But still the ito maki has some issues.

Comment

I have many mint real gunto that look like that and this is what mint gunto looks like.

Comment

Odd looking rust on tang. Ray skin looks too clean. Seller not interested in showing the blade for some reason.

Comment

The sword that started the thread on ebay was real. The handle looked to be restored but the sword and all the components were real!

Comment

maybe, but then it would be one of the very few coming out of hong kong to be a true gunto. I think there definitely should have been better pics of the blade, esp since it was coming from HK. I still don't know about the tsuba. Seller might have made more on it with better pic if it was real. IMHO....

Comment

He might be a collector like us and bourght it from USA??????

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X