Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese plates

Hi All,
    Here again with two Japanese plates that I would like to share. They look Chinese in design but on the back of one (small plate) has two crossed Japanese flags. Can anyone translate the kanji on the back and is it Japanese or Chinese (made of Japanese)?
    Thanks,
    Rodney

Here are more plates that I have.
    Jpn plate 3.jpg

Jpn plate 1.jpg

Comment

Here are just a few more:
      Jpn plate 2.jpg

Comment

are there any plate collectors out there what about sake cups and bottles?

Comment

Hi,
          Thought I'll try again hoping someone might know something about these plates.
          Thank you,
          Rodney

Comment

Nice plates.
            I have a plate too.

Comment

Can't help you with that kanji, too small and unclear for me.

But I will use this as an opportunity to show off a plate I found at a Japanese flea market a few years ago. Nice Russo-Japanese war scene-

Comment

Kutani possibly.

Hi Rodney,

Those kanji are a little small for my eyes too but I suspect they may be some of the Kutani marks. Have a look here and see if some match up. I see several that are very close and if you have the plates in hand you may be able to confirm.

http://gotheborg.com/marks/kutani.shtml

Regards,
                Stu
                PS: Here's one of mine. Not WWII themed, but interesting none the less, it's a charger sized item.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi gunto, thanks, please do post your plates, the more the merrier !!

Nice R/J War plate Papa Nambu, The one posted on my #2 post, bottom right looks to be from the Russo/Japan War too and the there one, the First Sino Japanese War.

Thanks for the link Stu, some of the kanji are close but? I really like the Samurai theme of your plate, is marked Kutani? It sure would go nicely flanked by some old tsubas or arrow heads.

Comment

Nice plates Guys! Its nice to have a softer side of collecting Japanese militaria. The subject matter and color create a nice contrast to the cold steel and olive drab we collect. For that reason, I have started to collect Sake bottles and cups. Adds some interest to the collection, and still pretty reasonable.

PG-

Comment

Hi Paul,

I agree, they do add a softer touch and competent larger items when placed alongside them in displays.

Regards,
                      Stu
                      Attached Files

Comment

Stu, THat Plate is fantastic! I love the Samurai theme

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                        X