Nambu Pistol - Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nambu Pistol - Value?

My Father-in-law's friend died a couple years back, and left this Nambu that he captured on Attu.

It has a brazed repair to the safety, and there is some deterioration to the leather strap of the holster that has resulted in dry red leather powder getting everywhere. The holster looks to be in okay shape, but I haven't checked it out too closely on account of not wanting to get covered in red dust from the strap.

Can anyone tell me anyting about this pistol, and give me an idea of value?
    Attached Files

Holster
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, it was made in March of 1936. As to a value, I don't know how much the fixed safety hurts it so I can't really comment.

Comment

Hopefully they went up in value. I think I sold mine for $75 back in the mid 1990's. I would wait to hear from others.

Eric
        I once flew in a B-17, B-24, & a B-25. Next, I want to fire an 88 round.

Comment

What are the numbers on back of the magazine? Is there any "bring back" paperwork with the pistol?

The finish on the pistol looks a little strange, but that may partially be the photo. The finish is either thin, re-done, or has been gone over with something like naval jelly. How does the bore look? Do the internal parts match? With Japanese pistols one thing to look for is if the firing pin is broken? I would not recommend dissembling it, but you can get an idea of the condition of the firing pin by looking in the breach with the slide pulled back. The magazine/clip looks like someone used it as a hammer on one side. Without knowing some important things, and making some assumptions, I would say the pistol is worth between $175.00 - $225.00.

The holster does have a strap, can you take a picture of the strap or the back. However, it appears from your description to be suffering from dry rot. I know one thing, the pull tab attached to the flap looks like it is about to break below the brass keeper so I wouldn't pull on that. The clam shell flap looks askew like maybe there is some stitching loose inside? Is there a cleaning rod or spare firing pin inside the holster? Based on your description and the single picture it would be hard to say on the holster. Anywhere from $75.00 - $150.00 maybe...need more information.

Comment

I agree: the blued finish on the Type 14 looks messed with, like the vet went over it with that "Naval Jelly" stuff.

BTW: I saw a P.08 last week that had suffered the same treatment with Naval Jelly, at the hands of the vet. I recall that my grandmother had some of this stuff in her closet; it must have been a popular cleaner back in the 1950's and 1960's.

I bet a lot of WWII vets were very unpleasantly surprised over the years when they "cleaned" their war trophy firearms with this Naval Jelly stuff, which contains acid that strips off the blue and leaves bare metal. What a terrible way to ruin a good war souvenir.

Comment

If it was cleaned with naval jelly I'd be willing to bet it was done because it had a nice coat of rust. If you look at the wood grips you can see pretty heavy staining along the edges and the wood around the screws and magazine release.

Comment

I'd say around 350. to 400 as is. I bought a dumpster find all matching with no holster a few years back for 150. Yep the guy found it rolled up in a rug ready to go to the dump, plus a lodge sword, and some other stuff. This one appears like it had a name, or description on a piece of tape someone removed . Might have faided out. Many times they used that white medical tape .

Comment

Well, I'm a little surprised to hear that the finish has been messed with; it is pretty even, and consistent with the worn finish I've seen on other surplus guns (though it looks more like worn-out old parkerization than the blueing I'd expect on such a gun). On close inspection though, I think I can see the remnants of a darker finish in the crevices of the slide. Hm.

The firing pin is fine. The mag is indeed pretty chewed up on the aluminum end, and has a couple rust spots along the body. Serial # does not patch the pistol.

The condition of the leather is poor all around. The strap is badly infected with rot (I've removed it from the holster and isolatd it in a ziplock to keep the rest of the assembly clean). As for the holster, the cut in the pull tab is pretty superficial, but the clamshell is completely detached from the holster No rot that I can detect.
                  Last edited by Mr. Scratch; 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

This is a very interesting piece. Do you still own it?

-Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NARVIK1940 View Post
                      This is a very interesting piece. Do you still own it?

-Scott
                      Yep, still have it around. It was a gift from the vet to my FIL, but he isn't much into guns so it's mine now.

Comment

It's very nice. I collect Battle of Attu items. If you ever plan to sell, please let me know.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X