Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please with these Japanese items

Hello Gentlemen

I wonder if anyone could give me some help with these items - a Navy group. Are they genuine. The brooch fitted medal in the wooden box looks very new but there is quite heavy patina on the medal its self.

Is the cap tally for a particular ship and is it WW2 period?

I have found Rising Sun medals on the internet and this looks like one of the classes but with a different ribbon.

These were supposedly acquired by a military man while on leave from the Korean War in Japan.

All comment most welcome.

Many thanks

James
    Attached Files
    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

and the boxes

and the boxes
    Attached Files
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges

Comment

They are real medals, in the first photo, left to right: Patriotic Women's Association, a lower grade. IJA military reservist badge, this kind was received by lower grade officers. Order of the rising sun 7th class, not sure about the ribbon, but it reminds me of some I have seen on post war Korean medals. Photos of the reverse of the medals would help authenticate them also. Not sure about the cap tally, but it is probably indicating a port, and is probably WWII period.

Comment

The cap tally is the generic Imperial Japanese Navy post 1942 woven version.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. Here are pics of the reverse of the medals

The Order of the rising sun is quite a solid and heavy medal for it's size. Anyone else have any thoughts about the ribbon?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JamesT View Post
            Thank you very much for the information.
            Your welcome James. Sorry my answer was so short. I was on my way out the door. Your tally says "Greater Japan Imperial Navy". The woven type were used post 1942. They replaced the gold foil printed script. These (gold foil type) would have had specific ship names or posts. They went to the generic version like yours for security reasons.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by miner1436 View Post
              They are real medals, in the first photo, left to right: Patriotic Women's Association, a lower grade. IJA military reservist badge, this kind was received by lower grade officers. Order of the rising sun 7th class, not sure about the ribbon, but it reminds me of some I have seen on post war Korean medals. Photos of the reverse of the medals would help authenticate them also. Not sure about the cap tally, but it is probably indicating a port, and is probably WWII period.
              sorry, meant 8th class Rising sun.

Comment

Hi James,

The ribbon looks like it might be from a british/commonwealth distinguished conduct medal (DCM).

Cheers
                Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X