Italian arisaka questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian arisaka questions

Hello folks. An Iwo Jima vet's son just brought me in an absolutely BEAUTIFUL, stone mint Katana (shin gunto) and an un-issued (and I do mean MINT-barrel still clogged w/ cosmoline) Italian made Japanese Arisaka. From what I've read about these, the entire stock of them went to the Imperial Navy. Is this true? and if so, should there be any IJN acceptance marks, etc? The rifle is relatively void of any markings, save the serial number and some additional markings on the bolt handle. The action and magazine well are likewise still coated in original cosmoline and the rifle has NO signs of having been carried or issued. Also, do these bring any premium over standard type 38 prices?? Thanks!

Milton, the type "I" rifles were intended for navy troops. Most are found unissued & found in navy warehouses at wars end. You wont find any other marks on the rifles. Sometimes the slings had white painted kanji that translated to navy use. These are very common & will not sell for near what a similar condition type 38 would sell for.

Comment

I would love to see some pictures

Comment

Thanks Jareth. I've done some more research since posting and have seen a few examples for sale and some that have sold on firearms auctions. Most seem to bring in the mid 2-400.00 range, dependent upon condition. Mine is also mint, unused, as it seems are many that are found on the market. The bayonet may show up for it yet, as he knows he has (or had) it somewhere. I know it will be a standard Type 30 bayonet, but it'd still be nice to have, especially if in the same condition. It's surprising to me that more didn't make it into issue / circulation during the war, as they're far superior in quality and supposedly, in accuracy than were the standard Type 38's and especially what was being produced for the army by war's end. Probably has something to do w/ the toxic relationship between the IJA and IJN. Thx for your comments!

Comment

Most sell in the $200.00- $300.00 range there is not as much interest and demand for them by Japanese collectors as there is for Type 38 and Type 99 Arisaka's.

Comment

While I cannot comment on the accuracy of type I rifles, they most certainly were not superior in quality to the type 38 rifles. You may be thinking of the "last ditch" varieties of type 99 rifles which were indeed crude.

CB

Comment

Yes, indeed I was. Never mean to denigrate the Type 38 series, very nice rifles that they were. My point was directed towards the late war "last ditch" type rifles being produced. It would seem to me that if a large quantity of the earlier Type I rifles were to be had, they'd have made it into the field, but being as that they were "Navy" rifles, they may have never been distributed due to the less than cooperative nature of the IJA and IJN. Thx, Milto.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
              X