Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck flag WAY OVER PRICED!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTLE-TARAWA-JA...item1e5c3bceb4

found this on ebay. I think there buying the story more than the item!!885.00.
    It doesn't look any different beside the stamps am i missing something it looks like any other good luck flags.

Cool lookin flag but someones gettin hosed! He said he has had it for 40 years, thats 1970, but also said it he had it translated in the 60's

PG-

Comment

That price seems ridiculously high. I don't even think one with a neat tiger or Bodhidharma painting would go for much more than half of that. There's not much of a story there, so maybe there are some kanji on there that make it really special.

Comment

It is a top of the line good luck flag with all the little extras youd want in a flag like personal drawings added as well as shrine stamps. However I agree that it is around twice what its worth already. I wish I had bidders like this when I sell things lol

Comment

Ummm.. twice what it's worth? I cannot remember selling a regular flag like this for over $400. I'd say the flag would normally go for $100-$200 at the most. Tarawa? WTF? There isn't any proof that that flag came from there. Guess I need to put those kinds of place names in all my auctions...

Rich

Comment

Like i said in the other thread. With out any proof of the story the number one rule of collecting is "how much is it without the story". probably about $200-$300.
            Larry

Comment

Always, always buy the item not the story

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuoka View Post
                Ummm.. twice what it's worth? I cannot remember selling a regular flag like this for over $400. I'd say the flag would normally go for $100-$200 at the most. Tarawa? WTF? There isn't any proof that that flag came from there. Guess I need to put those kinds of place names in all my auctions...

Rich
                Yes i sold mine and it was spotless for 190
                maybe i should of attached an eleborate story like it was found on Iwo Jima
                yes buy the item not the story.

Comment

Yup.... buying the story on this one. Funny how the seller is also a dealer in militaria.
                  Last edited by 101combatvet; 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I never knew Hari Kari was a bullet to the head

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuoka View Post
                      Ummm.. twice what it's worth? I cannot remember selling a regular flag like this for over $400.

Rich

Ive notice that really excellent Good luck flags that have REAL provenance/proof of how it was obtained with Shrine stamps,drawings,tiger motifs etc etc that are sold inside the USA can sell for $400 or more.

There are continously good luck flags on ebay constantly with nothing but good luck across the top, and a couple sayings and names that are constantly from sellers in Japan that are really nice and clean. Ive notice these only sell between 100-200.

Im not sure why this is but its what ive noticed.

Comment

I'm taking bids on my good luck flag with original envelope from a 28th regiment Marine that was sent to his brother after Iwo.

Comment

The Tarawa provenance may or may not be true, will never know, but the flag has a reference to the owner most likely coming from the Naval Aviator Training program (予科練), which makes the owner quite possibly a pilot or some other aicraft crew. That probably blew up the price.

Comment

Edokko,thanks for translating what the flag in question says on it. Naval Aviation has/is very popular and original used/carried items just dont pop up too often.

Comment

fantastic looking flag i must say and either somebody is bumping up the price or some bidder can read something on the flag that fits in with his collection

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X