The research/book project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The research/book project in progress

I've created a bit of a stir by revealing the true ID of the cherry blossom helmet and that I'm writing a book. It's not the first book I write, and I'm fairly quick in getting things done, but it is a book after all and not a leaflet, so it's only fair to say that it won't be coming to your local book store any time soon.
    I can assure you that it will be a book worth holding your breath for, but holding that much breath for that long can be deadly for all, so here's a breather/teaser.

I'm already well into the section about development of the helmet.
    It'll start with the first mass produced and issued Army helmet that no one had ever written about, a helmet that well preceded the cherry blossom.
    There will be details on which units got issued how many of these first model helmets.

Then comes the official adoption of the cherry blossom model

The Type 90 helmet development project that started in Jan 1927 is covered in detail such as
    1. Timeline
    2. Which foreign helmets served as benchmarks
    3. The special helmet testing gun
    4. The prototypes and patents from the project
    5. Field evaluation details of the prototype and changes incorporated
    6. The manufacturer's
    7. Export activities
    8. Delivery logistics including which NLF unit got how many, the supply of
    cherry blossoms to the Navy

There were 2 other items that were developed in paralell to the helmet, the gaskmask and fieldcap. These will be discussed in detail as well, including the field studies done on the cap.

That is as far as I've got things figured at this time, but hell I'm only 3 days into this project. The development of the 3 items are so intertwined that it's natural to keep them together as a story, but how to go from there, I don't know yet, because I haven't done any archive research beyond those topics.

Unfortunately, I do not have anything on suicide helmets, but you never know.
    The issuance of he Type 90 (Navy designation "Model 3 Helmet") I can trace almost ship by ship, but this kind of info seems to dry up for the war years.

So that's it for now, back to writing.

Any info about the distribution of any pre war Naval helmets would be pretty fine info imo. Field cap info would be nice as well. Nick, have you ever seen an original green/brown wool Naval cap with the two piece insignia? It would be a milestone just to see some nice large color pics of a real one. Your project already sounds great my friend.
    Scott

Comment

Nick, we all look forward to your book. I think it will be THE BOOK on headgear(and other related) !!! Doubt I need to mention this but if you need any help or photos you can count on all of us.

Comment

Jareth,
        You are in for a lot more than "just help", remember? Time to get to work.

Comment

Well done Nick, this is going to be worth waiting for!

And you never know what you might find when you really start digging for info!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Nick, Looking forward to the finished book.....I will be first in line. David.

Comment

can't wait!

Comment

The book will now also include details of the field test done in developing the first helmet covers

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                  The book will now also include details of the field test done in developing the first helmet covers
                  You are such a tease Nick Look forward to getting a copy down the road.

Comment

Nick, I definitely want a copy of your book. It sounds like it's going to be great. Can't wait for it to come out. .........Larry

Comment

Here's another teaser. I've finished Chapter 1 (Helmets) and am on to Chapter 2 (gas masks).

As a sampler, here is the beginning of Chapter 2

Chapter TwoThe Development of the Gas Mask
                      Diplomacy
                      Lt. Colonel C. Burnett didn’t like at all what he was reading, but what else did he expect?
                      It was now the end of January 1922, and it had taken the cavalry officer, serving as Military Attaché at the American Embassy in Tokyo, over a year to secure a sample of Japan’s latest gas mask. It was as far back as November 17th 1920 that he had written the Japanese Minister of War requesting to purchase a gas mask that he would send to his government, but when it finally did arrive at the War Department recently, the folks there discovered the Japanese Army had set Burnett up with a mask that had an inert canister, missing the chemical agent.
                      As he had restrained his anger over being tricked into passing a dummy gas mask on to his War Department, and dictated his letter reporting the “apparent error”, and conveying his government’s request for a replacement, he had known already it was no mistake, and the reply he just received confirmed it.
                      His Excellency, the Minister of War deeply regretted that the neutralization agent inside the canister was of a secret nature and his government could not comply with the Colonel’s wishes.

It was a similar scene that was being played out at other embassies in Tokyo. A Major at the British Embassy had also written on October 12th, 1921 thanking the Japanese government for allowing him the privilege of observing gas mask experiments at the Army school in June, and requesting two gas mask samples he wanted to send to England and to India. By the 20th, the Army had decided to comply with the request, but the scribbled comment from the Equipment Office of the Weapons Bureau said “remove secret content before donation”.

The British had offered to sell to the Japanese helmets and gas masks along with other weapons back in August 1918, but Major General Tanaka had received instructions from the Ministry to politely decline the kind offer. The British didn’t know it at the time, but Japan now had its own steel helmets and gas masks.

Comment

Sounds like it will be a good one.
                        Congrats.

Shaun

Comment

Nick,I dont know how I went by this post when your originally posted it so my comment is well overdue. Looks like a great book is being developed by you. I think the lack of a helmet refernce book is missing from EVERY single collector,so we will all be glad to wait for this great book to be published. The info you shared alone in this post leads me to believe you are on track to unravl alot of our questions on helmets that very few people know(if any).
                          Thanks Nick!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X