Edo Samurai Armor & Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edo Samurai Armor & Helmet

This was a recent find. I beleive it is Edo period. Can anyone tell me a good website to learn more about this. It is pretty cool and I might keep it, or maybe not?

well, I wouldn't want to give bad advice, but I can offer some search terms. Try looking for gusoku (armor) and kabuto (helmet).

From what little I do know, this style I believe is related to the sendai armor style, with the 5 plate wrap around. But the terminology for these things is pretty intense, as there is a name for every little variation.

It looks as though it is a low ranking armor, not too many frills, and not completely matching. But completely matching armor is rare anyway, as most "real" ones were put together as the styles changed and due to any real battle damage.

The helmet usually is a good indicator is this might be anything more than a display set (for boy's day). You'd want to actually look in the underside to see if there are real plates/rivits that make up the helmet dome vs. moulded pieces. For example, in the good/expensive pieces, the neck piece that hangs off of the face mask would have been made of individual iron pieces vs the stamped/moulded. Because lacquer was used to coat the iron, sometimes its hard to tell either way, but I'd guess these are one piece stamped.

still, if you got it for a good price, it's nice to have displayed in the house, and might probably scare off a burgler who happens to stumble infront of it. I'm looking for one with my family crest on it....

Comment

id ask here, Ian B a member wrote to book on such stuff.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php
      Last edited by Budo45; 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot link

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
      X