• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the additional pics Tino.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post
      Also at the sale was this neat Ramfree Island souvenir cloth. Does anyone know what it originally was or is?
      Some type of table cover or banner maybe?

I believe these are more like hand towels that were used for various purposes. They are called "tenugui". Depends on the size though.

Comment

Here is a youtube video on how to wear one as part of the Kendo tradition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PDzlA5FKlA

If anyone here is into watching old Samurai movies, these are often seen worn where men are doing sweaty work. They may have been used to wipe things off, but definitely worn on the head as well.

Like you can wipe your face off with an American kerchief, or wear it.

Comment

Righto my friend, I wear these tenugui towels over my head every weekend when I play tennis with my wife (which she abbhors), and hang over my neck when I go jogging. Great for soaking things up. Also just the thing to take with you when you go skinny dipping into hot springs in Japan.
          I guess what I'm saying is that these are not specifically used as head covers or head bands, since they are not the kamikaze style head band that we call "hachimaki".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
          X