• Show
Clear All

flag translation and value ???

Hello All:
    Picked up this flag at my local fleamarket today, and was
    wondering about what was on it and what value it might
    have? Anyone know what the Little Abner "shmoo" like
    figure is all about?

PS/ In Bortner page 82 found top 3 = "Celebrate Your Going To The Front". OFW
    Last edited by oldflagswanted; 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM.
    sigpic
    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Flag...

Hello Ben-
    The figure appears to be that of Daruma, the father of Zen Buddhism in Japan. He lived sometime during the fifth or sixth century AD. Initially Daruma, an Indian sage, brought his philosophy to China via India. In China it was known as Chan Buddhism. Later the teachings made their way to Japan. Differing stories say that he attained enlightenment by meditating in a cave for seven years (others say nine years) where he never blinked or moved his eyes. He takes a rounded form because as legend has it, during meditation his arms and legs became useless and shriveled up. He ended up taking the rounded form you see there. Daruma tends to be a character found decorating good luck flags from time to time.
    As an aside, there is a good luck type of story that involves Daruma. It was said that if you had a good luck wish, you would first draw in one of his eyes on a figure (statue, picture, etc.) Once the wish or prayer was granted, you would paint in the second eye. I don't remember any of the other details. Perhaps one of the other fellows here can add to the story.... mikeb

Comment

Shmoo=Daruma

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
      ...figure appears to be that of Daruma, the father of Zen Buddhism in Japan.
      ...he attained enlightenment by meditating in a cave for seven years
      ...where he never blinked or moved his eyes. He takes a rounded form
      because as legend has it, during meditation his arms and legs became
      useless and shriveled up. ...mikeb
      MikeB:
      Thanks for the great info about the Daruma figure, I was dating
      myself with the shmoo reference. These days I'm feeling more
      like the Daruma guy all the time - i.e., hanging out in my cyberspace
      cave with my $10 fleamarket Toshiba Laptop. But still getting out
      some in the daylight to look for militaria like finding today's Daruma
      flag, and other stuff too. OFW
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

That flag sure has "The Look"! I like it.
        Scott

Comment

Great looking flag, and interesting info from Mike!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Flag...

Yep, it's a nice one for sure. All you need is a good look see of the characters for translation sake. As we observe nearly every month somewhere on this forum, good finds are still out there! mikeb

Comment

The phrase next to the Daruma-type figure says the proverb 'Fall down 7 times, get up 8.' The Japanese is '七転び八起き' (Nana korobi, ya oki).

Reminds me when I was a kid in the States, we had the Weebles toys. The ad phrase: 'Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.' That figure even looks like a Weeble, if my memory serves me well...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
              X