Ebay sword - worth bidding on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay sword - worth bidding on?

Firstly, I know jack sh!t about Japanese swords but I'm learning fast.
    Long story short, my girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon and:
    1. She wants to start a sword collection.
    2. She works for a Japanese company in London and her bosses would be very impressed. Impressed means promotion.
    3. She's already taking fencing lessons.
    4. I bought her a British cavalry sabre for her last birthday. Her grattitude meant a very happy few weeks for me!

So, what about this sword?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's what I think but it's probably completely wrong.
    Looks to be a katana with original WW11 scabbard, guard, handle and pommel, collar is missing.. Tang is signed and dated and I can see a "1" and a "9". Not sure if the blade is hand made but the lack of serial number suggests it's not a factory produced one?

Bit worried about the rust on the tang, looks a bit fresh and there are lots of file marks, Is that a bad sign?

Any help would be appreciated here guys including good books to read, websites to looks at etc etc.

Sword

Hey Ben,
    The missing habaki is a problem, cant tell if the blade seats properly into the tsuba, its a 1944 dated blade by Masa _______?? The leather combat cover is torn, I would personally wait on another for a gift. All habaki are not interchangeable.

Comment

masayuki

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
      , its a 1944 dated blade by Masa YUKI .
      also talked about on another board.

Comment

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewforum.php?f=4

Comment

This looks to be all original, but it does need a litle work. Finding a replacement Habaki is a challenge even for a collector who is a sword world "insider", although most of these WW2 era blades are fairly close as far as the Habaki dimensions, and replica Habaki made specifically to fit this style of blade are available. Blade is not traditionally forged, and likely has a Seki acceptance stanp which is not mentioned or pictured. I would figure $125 + to find a matching Habaki, unless you get really lucky. Current bid of $405 is fair for this blade, but it will likely go for much more. Most Gunto on eBay go for TOO MUCH, while old Samurai era blades seem to be underpriced - but you can't buy a Samurai era blade based on a couple of dumbass eBay pictures - too many variables, and swords on eBay are almost always sold "as is" with no returns.

Comment

Fantastic response guys, I am truly grateful!

What would be my best best of obtaining a decent blade without blowing the bank and something that would worth investing in as a gift and starting point?

I've been doing some research and Japanese swords make collecting SS visor caps look like childs play.

I was advised to go to Bill Rannow but I haven't heard back from him.

Comment

It's a very hands-on hobby. The only thing you can get from the books is bare basics, and facts versus old wives tales. Go to some sword shows and examine as many swords as you can. Get a feel for quality, correctness, and value. Only then will you be able to spot a decent blade that is a good investment. Don't go overboard. Remember - you can pay full price for a "good" sword any day of the week.

Comment

At least it doesn't look like a chinese knock off. Appears to be a 20's or 30's smith made blade. I wouldn't go try and impress her bosses with an incomplete sword. If this goes more than 5 or 6 i'd wait for another one . One must be careful to not offend when people working together are of different cultures, the impression may end up the opposite of what she expects . Without special permissions thru customs or high officials clearances , all swords must be cut before entering japan or leaving. Wierd law, but its true. Anyone from japan care to elaborate on the laws regarding importing of blades? (i know shes not taking it into japan, just thought i'd mention it)

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                  One must be careful to not offend when people working together are of different cultures, the impression may end up the opposite of what she expects.
                  Hi Ben,

I think juoneen has made an important point.

If by chance the boss is a serious student of nihonto they may well hold the view that all gunto are junk. I'm not of that opinion myself but I've run into that mindset before in the hobby. Her attempt to "impress" may be viewed as insincere and have a negative effect.

I see that Steve Flanagan has commented above. I'd suggest a follow up PM to him to see if he could point you to another for sale. He has given me some good nihonto tips in the past.

Kind regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Sword

With the cultural differences and the fact you are looking to buy for someone else, you might consider a nice framed or boxed tsuba which is an art form in itself. If you still want a sword I would check your local dealers and shows, for me it takes an in hand inspection to buy a Japanese sword, too many hidden flaws and such buying from auctions. Photos are often taken from angles to avoid these issues.

Comment

Good points that I hadn't considered before. I think it's safe to presume that her boss is no sword expert though. She's asked him to translate tang inscriptions (Mei?) before and although he was happy to do that and was genuinely interested that she wants to start collecting, he couldn't tell her anything about the swords themselves.

Comment

Swords

Ben sometimes Ive bought swords in worse condition than I normally get into just because that when I have it in my hands it seems to talk to me,,much more than firearms, sometimes you can just feel it. Its strange but with me its true. Now off to take my meds!

Comment

I know exactly what you are saying Steve.

Comment

Wow somebody paid over $800 for this sword.

Comment

Sorry entering this thread a little late but the price was not bad! Habaki can be had cheap. I can even get them made reasonably.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X