Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBS Documentary On "SUPER" Submarines

http://video.pbs.org/video/1481015813/

Very interesting and very nice documentary, I have a Japanese publication about these airplane carrier subs and this program was quite informative about the bigger class I-400 weapons. For a compleatly new type of desing and delivery system, the Japanese did an almost impossible job become real, the size as well as the technical aspect alone in the sub itself is incredible, if you add the planes is just amazing!!

Thanks for posting this link, my local PBS station did not carry this program....we just get the full day cooking.sewing and garden PBS CREATE channel offering!!!!

Comment

Never heard about it before, thank you for sharing Jareth!

Mathieu.

Comment

A huge table book solely on the i-400 was put out by two great guys Gary Nila and Henry Sakaida, and also Koji Takaki (dont' know the last co-author personnally). Anything and everything you'd want to know about these subs in detail is in here. It only came out a few years ago, but I can't see to find a site that has them in stock. amazon only has used copies at a whopping $200. Makes me glad I got copies from gary - I believe he even gave me one with an insert signed by some of the crew/pilot (will have to check when I get home).

http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Secret-...3162582&sr=8-2

Comment

Just watched it last night and DVRed it too. One of the best historical programs I have watched in a long time. Great computer generated graphics depicting the subs and the 3 planes that they could hold. I had heard about the subs & plans to bomb the Panama Canal & western US before but hadn't heard about the sonar absorbing panels on the subs....still classified info to this day as said on the program. Really great to see the interview with the sole Japanese survivor of the planes that could launch from the subs. Really, everyone should attempt to watch this show or buy a copy

Comment

I highly recommend the book "I Boat Captain". Awesome insight into the Japanese submarine warefare!

-Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
            X