Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submarine Badge Question

Greetings all,
    I was wondering. I have a few photos in my collection of navalmen wearing the submarine badge on the lower breast. I am wondering if this badge represents that they are part of a submarine crew,or that they just went threw a submarine course and "could" be part of a submarine crew. Thanks guys for any info,this is something ive always wondered about.
    Thanks

That they went through & qualified for submarine training

Comment

hey michael, could you post some pics of the badge being worn? I'm guessing it was on a dress uniform vs the blue and whites?

Comment

Jareth,much appreciated,thanks.

Junichi,here are a couple quick shots of some I have....first one is damaged but detail is nice...

Comment

Not everyone who served on subs got this badge. Neither did everyone who graduated from sub school.
          First, like every Navy recuit you went through basic training at the Seaman Officer School (海兵団),after which you served on a surface vessel like a battleship for some time. Then you went to Navl Torpedo School or Engineer School, etc where you went through the regular class studies (普通科). A further stint back on a surface vessel was required BEFORE you got selected to go to Submariner School. However, gunners, radio & signalmen and other crew with non-sub-specific duties got through sub school in 2 months and did not qualify for the sub badge. After graduation and assignment on a sub they will get called back for further studies in their speciality like the Torpedo School, but this time they were required to go through the advanced course (高等科). In another thread there was a discussion about Naval specialty patches, which came in regular and advanced grades (In the above photo in the white uniforms the regular course patch for engineer is visible to the left, and to the right is the advanced course graduate with the patch with the crossed props).

Comment

Nick,Cant tell you how much I appreciate you explaining how the badge was recieved as well of the process they had to go threw to be able to recieve one. Thanks for the veryy detrailed explanation about the submarine badge!!

Comment

Very interesting and informative thread. Nick, this is the kind of info we would never be privy to without your contributions. Many thanks my friend.
              Scott

Comment

I agree with the others--excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to share that!
                Cheers,
                Rich

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                X