"Inspected in Field" stamps and numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Inspected in Field" stamps and numbers

When it comes to inspection stamps on bringback souvenirs, can the numbers that are sometimes found inside the "passed inspection" stamps point to where the souvenir might have been picked up at? Are the numbers code for a location, or am I out on a limb here? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Inspected in the Field...

Hi Tom-
    The numbers in the stamp normally refer to the stamp itself. The number would identify who the intel officer was who had signed out under that particular stamp number. Of course, in theory knowing that, one should be able to trace where that officer was located. I don't think anyone has ever tried to assemble that list though. You might not be able to trace the stamp/officer to a particular location, however, as they may have been in a number of different places over a number of months/years. Jerry Price wrote a piece on intel stamps this last year but I have not seen it so cannot comment on it. mikeb

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that there would be a "eureka" moment with the numbers attached to specific islands, ultimately opening up the histories of all of those marked souvenirs out there. Oh well.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
      X