Repro Japanese Sword.....help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repro Japanese Sword.....help please.

I know this is a bit out of the norm, but I bought my 12 year old son a repro Japanese sword he wanted at a local junk/fleamarket type store. I have been trying to find one like it on the web and can't. I know it a "current" made sword. I don't know much about real Japanese swords, and even less about the repros out there. It is marked 440 Stainless Steel and nothing else I can see......unless the emblem or maybe Japanese character is a trademark. It looks fairly good, but I have no real idea at all. The blade is fairly sharp though, and I have secured his word he will not horseplay with it or I will take it away from him. It seems almost as sharp as the real ones I have.

Pictures are said to be worth a thousand words......so rather than trying to explain by words I am posting these rather quickly taken shots.

I would appreciate anything you might be able to tell me about this thing......so I can tell him what it is.

If it isn't permitted here, sorry, just delete it.

Thanks,
    Ron

What I can say to you is that it's a Chinese/imported replica sword. Made out of SS (Stainless Steel!) to "ensure" it won't rust.

I had one simular to it that my dad bought me when I was aout the same age (somehow, like the swords of vets...it's somewhere among a pile of antiques )

Hope yer son likes it...it may develop into a hobby/investment that'll surely fill up his future house (and storage!)

Hope this helps!
    Lev

Comment

What is it?

From the photos it appears to be a medium length Japanese sword commonally called a Wakizashi.The Fittings appear to be more ornate than most originals.Eye candy if you will.Notice The hilt or handle lt is kind of boxy or chunky and does not flow with the curve of the blade.This piece is of modern manufacture.It could be used as a teaching tool however.Perhaps another forum member could post an illustration of the parts and blade decriptions of a Japanese sword.My five year old daughter really enjoyed learning the names of parts of a Japanese sword and scabbard!No help at school but great quality time with my daughter!And a new perspective for her life!! Best Geoff.

Comment

this type of poorly made sword is for decoration, it usually comes with a table top stand to display it on the desk.

Comment

On the habaki is the kanji TO ,meaning sword. On the scabbard is the Tokugawa family mon.
          Its far far away from the originals ,but kid safe

Comment

Thanks for the information. Is there any way of telling how old it is, and the really big one............how bad did I get burned ? I of course knew that it was a cheap repro.......and it really doesn't matter, since my son really wanted it. He wants to display it in his room........he is into martial arts and I would have gotten the thing for him period, but I paid $15 for this thing.........so, how bad did I get burned (the woman knew she had me because he wanted it so badly , and he had never asked for anything in all the times we were in there).

Thanks,
            Ron

Comment

Well, Ron-san, considering I've seen them about twice as much (even wakizashi version), I'd say not a bad deal at all! Looks sexy and is a good filler until he can afford his own blades (unless he's good for his b-day or Christmas.) In any case, better than "US Steel" IMHO

Take care!
              Lev

Comment

Please see South Park season 8 "Good Times With Weapons" lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                  Please see South Park season 8 "Good Times With Weapons" lol.

lol

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.

Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X