cup man at it again, British flag japanese capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ops, I wasnt clear...

You are right, yes these Japanese capture-Chinese flags exist, although i believe they are extremely rare. I just don't believe most of the flags coming from this seller are original. You have an interesting website! I've visited it many times. I also have an interest in flags, mostly Japanese and some chinese WWII. I was the winning ebay bidder on the Japanese Shooting award flag with crossed rifles. Expensive but beautiful.

J

Comment

Bogman congrats on getting that flag! I was one of the underbidders.

Comment

Originally posted by JCB View Post
        Zero-sen & Hc8mm, thanks, both of you for your input and translation.

When Cupman sold this he didnt offer any translation of the characters. You mentioned the indentification should be on the left side, maybe whats pictured is actually the back of the flag. If you were to turn it over, the identification would be on the left side. I didn't save all the pictures from that auction but I remember the flag was two sided with the same inscription on the other side. The script without question was done by someone who knows Chinese writing, it doesn't have that fake "done by a westerner" look. I guess you're right, because of the dubious seller this flag's authenticity is in question. That's too bad. I like WWII era Chinese flags, unfortunately it's hard to tell WWII era flags from post 1949 Nationalist flags. Finding true Chinese Military flags is very hard. Last year a heavily damaged Chinese navy flag passed through ebay but I had the feeling it was post WWII. I wish I saved those images....

I've saved many pictures from ebay of unusual Japanese or Chinese flags. A good picture is great reference. Here's another picture of an ebay offered, WWII era chinese flag with inscription from a different seller. Curious if anybody can read the inscription.

Jim

Japanese Ordnance collector seeks: Inert Ordnance, Japanese and Chinese military flags and banners. Also interested in WWII era Chinese ordnance.
        this flag is from an anti commie youth patriots league.

Comment

You mentioned the indentification should be on the left side, maybe whats pictured is actually the back of the flag. If you were to turn it over, the identification would be on the left side. I didn't save all the pictures from that auction but I remember the flag was two sided with the same inscription on the other side. The script without question was done by someone who knows Chinese writing, it doesn't have that fake "done by a westerner" look. I guess you're right, because of the dubious seller this flag's authenticity is in question. That's too bad. I like WWII era Chinese flags, unfortunately it's hard to tell WWII era flags from post 1949 Nationalist flags. Finding true Chinese Military flags is very hard. Last year a heavily damaged Chinese navy flag passed through ebay but I had the feeling it was post WWII. I wish I saved those images....
          Opps, I forgot they are two sided...

I remember, mentioned somewhere else, there was a flag, 88th Division also, going for about $3,000! The auction was sometime before mid-December 2007 on ebay. Too bad I didn't save the pictures on that one. Maybe it is the same flag??

I remember a merchant flag being sold a couple months back. I am not sure if you are talking about that one? It was the regular flag, but with wavy lines in the red field.

I bought this tiny, 8"x15" silk flag for $10. I thought it was a good deal, missing a couple rays since a few fell off over time. The red part is faded. I also got another one about the same size, although screen printed. I am not sure of the age... and I have a larger flag, measuring 46x62", screen printed, with gold fringe. I think it was used in Taiwan, made out of cotton though, this one was a good deal too, $20 IIRC. There is another one I bought for $10, the best deal, a 3x5' multipiece flag, probably flown here in the US during WWII period. That one is in my ROC thread. So 4 flags

Anyways, we are going off topic, well maybe me lol...

Comment

I must have alzheimers or something...

Hc8mm, I don't remember the price being that high! It must be the same flag, damn! The chinese navy flag had gold wavy lines in the red field and there was considerable wind damage. You got some good deals on the other flags. Did you get the Pre 1912 Chinese empire flag that sold three months ago? remember this one?

This thread is going off on a tangent but thats OK! Very few threads are on the topic of Chinese WWII flags.

Jar, Thank you, The shooting award flag is a very attractive flag. It got a lot of attention on several collector websites. Glad to own it.

Zero-Sen, thanks for the identification/translation on the chinese flag.

J
            Last edited by JCB; 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

more about captured trophies ???

...You have an interesting website! I've visited it many times.
              I also have an interest in flags, mostly Japanese and some chinese
              WWII. I was the winning ebay bidder on the Japanese Shooting
              award flag with crossed rifles. Expensive but beautiful. J
              JCB:
              Thanks for your kind words about my flagmania web site. That
              Japanese Shooting Award Flag was way cool too, I was almost
              tempted to bid on it myself as maybe an addition to my shooting
              award trophy collection, it being somewhat like my US trophy.
              sigpic
              .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

I don't remember seeing that one for sale. The Empire flags are hard to find. The only ones I can afford are the tobacco cards I see from time to time.

I have seen the similar flag posted by you, and translated by ZERO-sen. I messaged the seller and he sent me more pictures. I asked my WWII group about it and as ZERO-sen said, it is an anti-communist group flag.

I think this one ended at $300 or so.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X