Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Naval Helmet and Cover

Hi all,

Thoughts on this naval helmet that ended on ebay today. Wonder why a star would be placed above the Anchor???? Seems to be period placed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

also this was the cover that was said to belong to the above helmet. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

David.

if true, its sad that the cover and helmet were separated. But it is curious why there would be netting under a cover?

kinda weird also that the items are coming from the UK, but the seller says they're located in my next of the woods in sausalito, california...

Comment

As Junichi stated I too thought it strange & cause for concern about the items coming from UK but seller here in states. Regarding items...Helmet with star is very strange & I wouldn't be comfortible with it in my collection. Great stories asside it would keep me up at night. Impossible to determine when & why star was added. Net was interesting but without drawstring it could of been anything...field improvised, post war etc. The cover looked nice. I had a nice conversation with Scott Striking 9th today regarding cover. We both shared concerns cover was SMALL sized. If so, without a rare small sized navy helmet the cover wont fit standard navy helmet. Close to impossible to find small size helmet. If cover was standard size the end price was a heck of a bargain! I also doubt cover was on top of helmet especially since net was tied on!

Comment

Interesting just one of those things gotta wonder why anyone would put a star on a Naval helmet. As for the cover, what indicates possible small size ....is it the size of the patch on the front? David.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryukyutunnelrat View Post
          Interesting just one of those things gotta wonder why anyone would put a star on a Naval helmet. As for the cover, what indicates possible small size ....is it the size of the patch on the front? David.
          It just looks small to me David. The seller also would not take a pic with it even draped over the helmet. This and the seller not actually having the item in their possession made me pass. I actually owned one in a small size that was identical to this one down to the slash next to the emblem. Mine had more separation in the back. This one in one pic looks to have this same section of wear in one pic but does not in the other. I don't know where my old one went but it could be this one. I gave up trying to find a helmet for it. It sure looks like my old one. Who knows. If I am wrong and it works out for the buyer they got a heck of a deal.
          Scott

Comment

David, just to add to Scott's comment & your question...covers are not size marked. There are no indications for size. Hard to make a size call based on photo. Only way to tell is fitting it on a helmet. To great a gamble to buy it & find out it's a small size.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
              David, just to add to Scott's comment & your question...covers are not size marked. There are no indications for size. Hard to make a size call based on photo. Only way to tell is fitting it on a helmet. To great a gamble to buy it & find out it's a small size.
              Scott and Jareth, thanks for all the info, I knew there were no size marks on the covers but was not aware that there was a small size cover out there somewhere. Learned something new tonight

Much Mahalo, David.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X