Navy cap translation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy cap translation.

Heres a cap I got recently , whats the translation?

Any idear what the thread is for in the corners?

if I'm not mistaken, I think its dated Taisho 13, or 1924. post up some pics of the actual item so we can all enjoy seeing what interesting item this label you want translated is for. most likely it has a tally which is not the typical Imperial Japanese Navy...

Comment

Kure Arsenal, June 1937, with issue date of September 1938 is what I believe it says. It probably has a base tally in printed gold foil script. Could also have some kind of specialty tally as well. Was this one on e-bay recently?
      Last edited by Striking 9th; 04-11-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

going to have to stick with my date on this one. taisho not showa...

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
          Your probably right J. I see where the taisho mark is. I just don't like this cap as being that early from what I remember about it. I went back and tried to find it on e-bay but can't. Still something about it just did not sit right with me. More pics or an auction link would be good.
          Scott
          Last edited by Striking 9th; 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
            taiso 13 September. cap was made in june taiso 12.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                The tally is the one for Kure. It is the printed gold foil script. Do you still have a link to the auction?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Comment

Thanks Gunto, this is not the one I was thinking of. The other was from Japan and had later style grommets with an early date. For this to be so early it is in phenomenal condition. Usually these are mothed and dis-formed.
                    Scott

Comment

I couldnt let it go. Its sure in the great condition. I didnt think 275 was too much.

Any idear what the thread is over the four corners?

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                        I couldnt let it go. Its sure in the great condition. I didnt think 275 was too much.

Any idear what the thread is over the four corners?
                        I honestly have no idea. Seems like there was a jumper or some pants that had that as well recently. $275 is a steal for one that early and that nice. I can only remember seeing two others from that era. One had a purple liner. The other had some sort of private purchase material very similar to the one running on e-bay right now. Neither were near what yours is. The grommets on yours are probably unpainted darkened brass and usually have a hint of verdigris. Seriously that is one hell of a cap. I use to scrutinize them when I was in the market. Since finding one that met my needs I just give them a once over. Sorry I got yours confused with the other one. Like I said before the one out of Japan had late features with a really early date leading me to wonder about it. Nice pick up!
                        Scott

Comment

Very nice cap! I think the four threads are to hold a card, photo or additional owners info. Would slip over sewn in tag, corners tucked under thread & held in like photo in photo album

Comment

that is a nice cap for being almost 90 years old!

I am just getting interested in caps and talleys...how many main designs were there of these? is there a book/webpage that shows the various forms of the IJN donald duck cap?

No IJN dd caps in my collection, just an old pre-ww2 US one that's pretty beaten up...at least the talley identifies it to ship that takes it name from a state whose recent "maverick" senator ran for the presidency candidate along with a female VP....

IJN caps would make for a good thread...

(I have a talley coming in the mail (hopefully); will post pics once it arrives and hopefully can picture the IJN dd cap styles for reference...)

Comment

Thanks for the translation. I also need books about this subject with how too read the label ,different tallys , cap types .etc......

or a sticky thread

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X