Great Latewar Navy picture wearin Civilian defense helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Latewar Navy picture wearin Civilian defense helmets

I was trying to win this one on ebay but was outbid.
    Kind of wanted to put in more for because of how interesting it is.
    It shows 2 late war navymen wearing civilian defense helmets.
    Now I know everyone has always said there was a theory these were "last ditch" helmets used in the war at the very end on Okinawa.
    Could this be evidence to support them being used? Is it just a prop helmet that was in the picture studio at the time? Sadly no writing on the back.
    Maybe some sory of fireman in the navy and these are what they wore? I know its not solid proof that they were used in combat at wars end,but this sure is a picture to suggest that theory just a litttttle bit more .
    Did anyone on the forum win it????
    Id love to know if the helmets have an anchor attached.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

I won the photo. Scott enlarged photo & no insignia is evident. I have same helmet as in photo. No insignia just rivet. Interior has fraction/numbers & Yokosuka painted on interior rim. I've never doubted these "last ditch" civilian defense helmets were issued to military or PARA military. My belief is they weren't issued to combat, frontline troops. The two sailors in photo were likely homeland security/guards/dock/navy base stationed.

Comment

Very glad you were able to get this picture!!
      It really is a unique and telling picture.
      Congrats!!

Comment

Thanks Michael. It's the only photo I'm aware of that shows navy soldiers wearing that helmet. Will be perfect for my future book

Comment

Great photo, and most interesting!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Congratulations on the photo, that's a nice one.

Comment

Congrats Jareth on a fantastic photo showing Homeland Land Based Naval Personnel wearing the Civil Defense Type helmets....does anybody have any idea what they are wearing on their backs as you can see the straps.....maybe gas masks? Its truly a photo that needs to be in a book and shared.

David.

Comment

Thanks David & all. Yes I thought gasmask or late war back pack. The belts are unusual too. Certainly not gasmask belt. Resemble an army "cinch" belt/under tunc belt.

Comment

I would say that it is not a gasmask bag only because there are two straps going over the left and right shoulder....A gas mask bag only has one strap. Id venture to say navy back pack...or a back pack of some sort.

Comment

They are earlier gas mask two shoulder straps a waist belt and a bag hanging for the mask

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X