Collecting weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collecting weapons

For value and collecting, what is the order of importance when it comes to weapons like rifles and pistols? How important are condition vs. all matching serial numbers or version/edition?

thanks

I don't think there's any one answer for this type of question.

from my own preliminary research in to jpn arms, all original (meaning complete and matching parts) seems at the top of the list, followed by condition. rarity is in a category all its own.

in the end, you should collect what you like vs collecting for profit. I myself would rather buy one great item that costs alot, than many "ok" items. Sometime things are so rare, that you do have to "settle" for what comes along. I've found its easier to sell of the great item in a pinch vs the many ok items, although I guess the trick is not getting one's self into a pinch in the first place, and being able to capitalize on other people's "pinches"....I'm still trying to get the hang of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick87 View Post
      For value and collecting, what is the order of importance when it comes to weapons like rifles and pistols? How important are condition vs. all matching serial numbers or version/edition?

thanks
      If you are only interested in it as an investment, you should get all matching numbers in the best condition you can afford.

If you are collecting for yourself it is up to you to decide what is important to you.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but things that turn off one collector won't bother somebody else. There is no agreed upon answer to your question.

Plus there are a million variations depending upon the gun. You would be foolish to buy an Argentine M91 Mauser that wasn't all matching and in excellent condition because they are commonly found that way. However, many others guns are very seldom found in that condition.

Comment

Of course I am ultimately buying for collecting purposes, but what I meant to say was that, when I set out looking for a particular weapon, I may come across about 5 of them, such as a papa or baby nambu, some very nice with a few different serial numbers, some with all matching but condition not so great, and others that may be a very rare variation, but the parts dont match or condition is ok.

I just wanted to know, in the cases where I have a few to choose from, what aspects would be a better investment.

thanks though for your thoughts.

Comment

I would say condition, rarity, and how much of the parts are matching are big factors as investment.

Comment

condition, condition,condition. Always try & buy the best example you can afford. Upgrading is a pain. On rifles FULL MUM, matching (dustcover matching is rare $$) on pistols matching mag etc.

Comment

When I look for items now I now ask myself If I get this am I going to have to upgrade to a better one / complete one in the future. If I answer no then Ill get it but if i answer yes Ill just keep my eyes open for a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                condition, condition,condition. Always try & buy the best example you can afford. Upgrading is a pain. On rifles FULL MUM, matching (dustcover matching is rare $$) on pistols matching mag etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X