Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy photo.

I just got this photo.

Anybody has an idear of which ship the photo was taken on?

Last edited by gunto; 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM.

get close ups of the tally hats. there's a good chance the kanji on them won't be the generic one if this is a 20's or 30's photo, and we can try to translate.

Comment

great photo...looks like you outbid me!! hehe

glad a forum member got it though

Comment

Thanks mate ,it is a great photo with a lot of details.

Heres a closeup of the seamens duck cap.

Comment

great photo, from the swords im thinking maybe early 1900's, boat sure fits the era.

Comment

The officers is holding the Navy kyugunto parade dress saber ,only one has the Navy Kyugunto with a real blade.
            I would frame this photo and build a model ship to display it with.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
              Thanks mate ,it is a great photo with a lot of details.

Heres a closeup of the seamens duck cap.

The guy on the left thinks :

"Why dosnt he keep his arm on his own leg"

Comment

well, the sailor on the left has the important kanji on his cap. but its too fuzzy to read. I can see the characters (reading from right to left) for Dai Nippon then 4 more characters. there's a good chance this is the name of the ship vs the generic "imperial navy" kanji's.

for an example of the generic tally:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=tally

Comment

Thanks Kaigunair ,
                  I will scan the photo when it arrives.

Comment

Heres the closeup ,this schould do it. Im very excited to hear from witch ship.

Comment

well, my translation skills are totally lacking, but from what I can make out, it definitely isn't the generic talley. from right to left (大日本軍), dai nippon gun ? ? ? ..... greater/imperial japanese military ? ? ? ...

interesting...

FYI, I don't believe those sabers mounts are the "parade" ones, but the earlier gunto mounts - many of them did contain traditional blades.
                      Last edited by kaigunair; 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

this just in from Nippon

from a friend in Japan

sorry i could not help more.

The ribbon on the cap says 大日本軍艦 X X (Great Japanese battle ship, X X).

The “X X “ must be the name of the ship. But I cannot read it. The first X may be 凪(nagi) or 風(kaze), but I am not sure.

Comment

The image is too blurry to be sure, but it could be the ship Jingei (迅鯨). Launched in 1876, removed from the lists in 1909.

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                            well, my translation skills are totally lacking, but from what I can make out, it definitely isn't the generic talley. from right to left (大日本軍), dai nippon gun ? ? ? ..... greater/imperial japanese military ? ? ? ...

interesting...

FYI, I don't believe those sabers mounts are the "parade" ones, but the earlier gunto mounts - many of them did contain traditional blades.
                            I can only see one that looks like it has a real blade ,due to its wider that the others.Im 100% rest is parade swords.

Comment

anyone else notice the westener in the corner of the photo in naval dress. ? looks like he might be an observer attached to the ship. thats gotta narrow it down a bit. looking at there chest it's post russo japanese war. maybe pre ww1?? see if you can find images of western observers attached to naval ships of the time and see if you can get a clear image of his face. just thought it might be another way to find out the ship??? maybe.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X