Help with rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with rank

Hello! Please help to find out what rank this soldier holds?

Thanks for looking!

And one more photo with question: what indicates a ^ arm patch? A branch of service? Photo came form medic photo album. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Photo #3.

Any thoughts on what this striped armband indicates? A kind of "on duty" armband?

Comment

nice photos. these are all pre-ww2 uniforms, probably 20's and 30's. The rank strip we'd need to asertain color to determine branch of service, which isn't possible in the B&W photo. I can't make out the insignia on the collar tab, but the fact that it looks like it is on a round patch and alittle star shaped is unusual. I have a photo of an NCO with a service tab, but it isn't backed by any round felt, and I don't recall seeing that at all (sorry, I will not be posting that photo here).

if these came from a photo album, info on the other pics might help determine what the insignia and possibly arm of service.

my $0.02

Comment

I believe the soldier in photo one is a second reserve probationary officer. Looking at the rank (warrant officer) in conjunction with the collar distinctions.

Comment

Originally posted by zachb View Post
            I believe the soldier in photo one is a second reserve probationary officer. Looking at the rank (warrant officer) in conjunction with the collar distinctions.
            the rank isn't for warrent officer. as that was similar to an officers one without the stars. he's more likly be a corporal with the star not visable on the insignia as it's in the center of the rank bar.

the arm patch is a good conduct stripe and the striped arm band Is for a duty man

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by b-m-n_animal View Post
              the rank isn't for warrent officer. as that was similar to an officers one without the stars. he's more likly be a corporal with the star not visable on the insignia as it's in the center of the rank bar.

the arm patch is a good conduct stripe and the striped arm band Is for a duty man

Paul
              Paul! Thank You very much for the input. How often "good conduct" stripe was betowed to soldiers? There is a photo with a private who has three such stipes.

Comment

Originally posted by b-m-n_animal View Post
                the rank isn't for warrent officer. as that was similar to an officers one without the stars. he's more likely be a corporal with the star not visible on the insignia as it's in the center of the rank bar.
                I assumed it was the opposite, i.e., the side braiding on the insignia was not visible? I made this assumption because I thought the collar distinctions were for a "probationary officer"? Can anyone clarify what the collar distinctions are in picture one.

Comment

Originally posted by zachb View Post
                  I assumed it was the opposite, i.e., the side braiding on the insignia was not visible? I made this assumption because I thought the collar distinctions were for a "probationary officer"? Can anyone clarify what the collar distinctions are in picture one.
                  you are right on the collar badges being for probitionary officer ( although I can never remember if it's the star or the star with backing that showes 2nd reserve officer) these are also worn by officer cadets and I just pulled out a photo of a group of corporals with the star and backing badge on from around the same time. maybe the translations that are used for the discription of this star and backing badge should lean more towards NCO's then actual officers?.

Warrent officers wore the officers shoulder boards minus the stars (much like the later type 98 rank badges) and would also dress in the 1873 type dress uniform like officers again no stars on the rank boards, no dress knots on the cuff just a point and no band around the cap.

I believe the good conduct stripes could be awarded as and when apropriate but i'm not 100% sure on this.

hope all this is of some use.

Paul
                  Last edited by b-m-n_animal; 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X