Japanese naval compass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese naval compass?

Hi, I have what I think might be a Japanese naval compass. It's made of brass and measures about 3 1/2 inches across (9 cm) and 1 3/4 inches (4 cm) tall. It has two mounting screws and seems to have been in a gimbel mount. It doesn't have the directions marked only a red paint mark at north, and degrees from 0-90 going toward east/west from north and the same scale at south. There is writing on the face but haven't found anyone here to translate it. I have pictures but since I am a new member I can't post them.

Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks, Ken

photos online

I've put some photos of the compass online, I would really appreciate any help I can get here.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...n/100_2990.jpg

Comment

from your measurements, looks kinda on the small side to be a military ship's compass. perhaps civilian make. there should be a data plate on the side if it military, which would also indicate model type, mfg, date.

Comment

There's no data plate, only the number 129 stamped in the rim The gimbel mount is what has me thinking ships compass, and the mount plates are bakelite which leads me to think it's fairly old.

Comment

Hello,

I am japanese so I can read this.

第百八十八号
          沖電気工場製造

This means "number 188" "made by Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd."

camomania

Comment

Camomania, Thank you for the translation, I've been wondering about it for awhile now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X