Dogtag/Equipment tag that came attached with this Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogtag/Equipment tag that came attached with this Belt

Hello all....Unfortantly this is one of those times I admit that I was suckered on ebay thinking this was an original belt. Seller did not show inside of belt or clloseups of the stitching so I couldnt tell it was stitched on in areas with fishing wire type of material.and under a black light this whole belt glows like crazy!!!! ..Needless to say this will be going back to the seller if this tag isnt real as well..... Is this one of those equipment tags or a dogtag? Im guessing this is fake as well? But would like your opinions. Thank you very much guys!!!

The artillery officer's tag is good and it was common practice to sew it on the belt like this.

Comment

Maybe the seller or somebody else cleaned it and now glows like crazy because of it? The brass tag looks like it lost its patina...

Comment

It reads Army Artillery 2nd Lt., but I cant recall the pronounciation of the first Kanji on top, something ..no and ichi I VERY nice set up and as Nick mentioned, a fairly common practice to attach the tags to a belt in this manner.

CB

Comment

the clear nylon/plastic thread would probably have been a post-war repair. possbily the thread was deteriorating, either due to age to even possibly due to a wash of the belt. if the owner washed the belt using detergents, then it would impart a glow. to repair the lost stiching, the owner just used some old fishing wire lying around. I think anyone trying to "fake" this would have at least chosen a better matching cloth thread.

but if this came from that notorious seller cupman, the all bets are off...

Comment

Im so glad I posted this. Thank you all for the information as it is veryyyy helpful. From what Ive picked up from you guys I think Im going to hold on to it and use it as a display piece....and No this did not come from Cupman as when i stumbled onto his items I feel like I want to cry seeing what he does to some of his perfectly original items and then going to the extreme adding items. So the tag does indeed look original though? Its a shame that someone polished it,but what can you do? Many thanks once again you guys!!

Comment

Yes, it is a good officer's dog tag. Officer tags are of course much less common than those of enlisted men. I think it does not detract too much that the tag was cleaned and restiched to the belt. As mentioned, the old thread could have been decayed and the tag will eventually attain a patina again in few years anyway.

CB

Comment

Thank you CB....i guess my mind completely went the oposite way of thinking when I saw the funky stitching. The one plus about the post war stitching is its not noticeable on the outside. So once it is displayed you will not even notice the fishing line material. I have the book "Swords of Imperial Japan"by Jim Dawson and they have a few examples but not that much info on them...any idea if these we worn during a certain time period or were they worn threw the whole war?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X