Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th Sasebo (Sachin) SNLF Info?

Hello,

I thought I would post this here, in addition to other places in hopes of getting further information.

Some time ago I acquired an item relating to an engineer in the 9th Sasebo (Sachin) SNLF. At this point, I am deciding whether or not to keep the item in my collection, but first I would like to know if I could get more information about this unit?

I am aware they were active in the South of China and have seen battle rosters showing the unit in such engagements, indeed the item I have relates to this, but aside from that, I am in the dark. I believe the unit did not officially exist for long, and was disbanded prior to 1940, but I am unsure of this. If anyone can help in this matter, it would be greatly appreciated!

what information are you specifically looking for?

found them mentioned here in the Swatow Operation, June 21-27,1939:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_o...atow_Operation

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Swatow_Operation

Not to belittle, but there is a reenactment group labeled the 9th SNLF
    http://www.9thimperialmarines.com/

Comment

Kaigunair,

Thank you for the links!

Yes, I had seen the information about the 9th Sasebo and the Swatow Operation, but that's basically it. I am just curious to know if the unit possibly only existed for that opertation, or otherwise what engagements it took part in or how long the unit was in existence.

I also saw the "9th Imperial Marines" site, but I am not sure if they are actually reenacting the 9th Sasebo Unit. They seem to be part of a "9th" reenacting group - 9th SS, 9th Guard Rifles, 9th Armoured...
      Also, I read through the history they posted on the SNLF on their site and there is no mention any where of the 9th Sasebo. It is only a somewhat incomplete coverage of units which engaged in the South Pacific from 1940.

But, thank you for your help and posting the information. Ever piece helps!!

Comment

maybe check the osprey book on SNLFs?

Comment

Nila's Osprey book is a good source of information!

I don't have a copy of the book in my hand at this moment, but when I did search through it for information, it seems to me unfortunately nothing was mentioned of the 9th Sasebo, but it did state that many SNLF (Particularly of the Pre-1940 Units or Short Term units) were not listed. The list of units mentioned, which did include some China Theater Pre-1940 units, was mostly focused on Post-1940 / South Pacific listings.

I also did a couple of email exchanges with some of my collector friends in Japan, and the only references they had were for the 9th Sasebo (Sachin) in the Swatow Operation.

Thus, this all really pushes me to believe the unit may have only been in existence for that engagement, but I do not know. And would be very grateful to anyone who could confirm this or not.

Comment

I received quite a few emails from members asking me what the item is, so I am just going to go ahead and post it. My main purpose for this thread though was not to post the item, but just to get information about the unit, as regardless of the item itself, I am interested in the history of the SNLF, so I am curious to know about a unit I have little knowledge on.

The item is a flag, which I purchased at a flea market at Osu Kanon in Nagoya about six years ago. I can't really say what I paid for it, as I purchased it in a group of other items (none of which were military, i.e. Japanese issues of Beatles Albums, and some old Japanese posters of American Westerns from the 1950s). The seller had no other Navy or additional military items, as I would have of course picked them up, hoping the item was from a grouping. For the record, the seller knew it was Navy, but didn't realize the significance of the Rikusentai, or possibly really know what it was.

Photos are posted below. The whiteness of the flag is actually somewhat darker than appears in the photos. I have shown this flag to quite a few people over the years, as it has been an item in my own collection. At one point, it was framed and hanging on the wall of an old apartment I lived in.
            The translations I have for it lists the individual as "Engineer Tadao Sato". The group is listed as "Sanchin number 9 Special Naval Landing Force" (Tokubetsu Rikusentai). Sanchin stands for "Sasebo Chinshufu" in Japanese.
            The remainder of the kanji reads something to the effect of "Protecting the Kyushuu area and forging ahead to China, Korea, East Asia". The Kanji in the middle reads "Nanshi Ensei", which means expedition to the South of China.

Considering the circumstances of the purchase, the obvious age effects on the flag - running of the ink and blurring, etc, and my experience with other similar items, I have felt the item to be genuine, which is why I have kept it.

And now for some photos(not the best, sorry, took these at low light in a hurry a few moments ago).

Comment

Osprey book

Hi
              The Osprey SNLF book mentions the Sasebo 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.
              No mention of a 9th.
              Joe T

Comment

that is a neat flag! what is the dimensions? thanks for posting pics!

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                  that is a neat flag! what is the dimensions? thanks for posting pics!
                  The flag measures approximately 2 ft. 5.5 inches by 3 ft. 2.5 inches.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X